A quick omelette question if I may...

Joined Aug 24, 2018
I believe I've gathered a youtube consensus on how to make a traditional french omelette. As we all know, most tutorials address the technique but don't tell you much about what you've done wrong.

I believe I have the color correct, but the eggs are sticking to the bottom of a non stick pan before they have a chance to settle. I had to pry it off with a spachela, broke it up, and ended up with improperly scrambled egg.

Is this a heat problem? An issue with the butter? Or potentially an issue with the pan?

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Get a thick aluminum pan. Heat it, use cold oil or butter, or a mixture of both.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I see this usually when I've moved the egg more than there is grease in the pan. So either use more butter or move the egg less. In the classic technique according to Julia Child in one of her omelette videos, the fork should be hovering just above the pan surface in it's motion not scraping the pan.

Before nonstick they used to use these heavy highly polished aluminum pans. A scratch in them meant sticking.

Notice no fork, no sticking, bare polished aluminum.

Carbon steel was also used but the pans were dedicated to only eggs to avoid scratches and the seasoning would give non stickness.

Or your pan could be old and it's not in prime nonstick form

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
You can also use wooden chopsticks. I use wooden chopsticks half the time, the extra long kind you can get from the Asian grocer.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Pay attention to the temperature. Low to medium heat at most. If you hear a sizzle when you add the butter or the eggs to the pan, the pan is too hot. The butter should melt quietly with no sizzle whatsoever. Likewise, the eggs should not sizzle when added to the pan.

Also, pay attention to the way you scramble the eggs. Be careful not to add air to the eggs by whipping them. The eggs should be scrambled until the yolks and the whites are uniformly incorporated. If you are seeing a lot of air bubbles during this process, you are whipping the eggs to vigorously.

If you season the eggs, do it when they are in the pan, not before.

The key to the omelet is stirring. Like everyone has said, stir from the moment the eggs hit the pan. The goal is to keep the eggs moving to prevent cooked curds from forming too quickly. The goal here is uniformity of cooking and stirring is the key to that uniformity. This part is not a race and always takes longer than you expect. Don't rush it. :)

The whole process is a technique rather than a recipe. Like anything else, it takes practice. Keep trying. You'll get it.

Joined Nov 15, 2012
They are hard to do on an electric, at least I have trouble here with controlling heat. Watching youtube vids others are getting the eggs to thicken quickly and without creating the undesirable folded "skins" on the inside instead of a nice consistent custardy goo. Using warm eggs works better than cold. I like this technique best:

You should watch the whole movie, cult classic, a real gas. That pan, that's the kind to use. Using just a thin coat of oil season at high heat to get a nice burnt-on brown coating, using wad of folded paper towel to control uneven buildup. Then smooth that out further by doing a lower heat seasoning, again smoothing lightly with folded wad of paper towel, worked best for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom