A quick hello

Joined Oct 8, 2019
hi all, my name is Chris and I’m based in Bristol, UK.
I’ve recently taken on a position as kitchen manager in a “yummy mummy” style cafe. Although largely spec based the food is all fresh and there is plenty of scope for creativity.

I’ve just stumbled upon this forum and it seemed a decent place to join up to get some inspiration and advice.
I look forward to picking your brains

Cheers,
Chris

Joined Oct 31, 2012
Welcome to ChefTalk. Can you please explain what yummy mummy style is? I'm in the US and never heard of that before.

Joined Jan 31, 2012
Well I know what a yummymummy is ;-》but not
YM cafe, welcome to Cheftalk Gingertimmins,
hope you learn and pass on a lot here.

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Well I know what a yummymummy is ;-》but not
YM cafe, welcome to Cheftalk Gingertimmins,
hope you learn and pass on a lot here.
It’s quite a broad term really but in essence our customer base is largely ladies and prams and they love their avocado on toast and poached eggs etc.
Perhaps yummy mummy style was a misleading description.
The core menu is probably considered a brunch menu so lots of variations of stuff on sourdough and along side that we bake loads of cakes and sweet goods which are displayed on the front counter.
We always have a selection of fresh seasonal salads, savoury tarts and tortillas on display too.

In a nutshell I’d say it’s wholesome, indulgent and casual food with an emphasis on freshness and quality ingredients.

The kitchen has its limitations- it’s very small, has only 3 induction hobs, no fryers and very few fancy gadgets, so keeping the food interesting can be a bit challenging- especially when there’s something that you want to do but due to certain limitations you can’t or perhaps you need to find a different way that you’ve never heard of.

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Welcome to ChefTalk. Can you please explain what yummy mummy style is? I'm in the US and never heard of that before.
You know what a yummy mummy is? It’s the politer way of saying milf
(Just in case you didn’t)
A yummy mummy where I live tends to have a fair bit of spare time and a fair bit of spare cash and they gather together for hours and gossip over coffee.
The style is just whatever they like which I kind of explained in my post above.
You probably have the same in the us but have a different name for it.

Joined Oct 31, 2012
Thanks for the explanation. i interpreted a yummy mummy cafe to refer to serve the kind of comfort food made by some one's mom. Now I have a new term to put to use.

Top Bottom