A question for Savir

Joined Feb 6, 2002
Hello,

We were discussing Bitter Melon a few days ago regarding ways of preparation etc. ( Asian Vegetables by Cchiu ) I am not sure about everyone here, but I am not very familiar with Bitter Melon, and when I saw the reference to it on your website I had to ask.

Can you share more information on this vegetable, its preparation and flavor??

Quote is an excerpt from www.suvir.com

Joined Dec 4, 2001
I don't know too much about it. My mother-in-law cooks it in a broth to make soup that is supposed to have some healing properties. I will ask her when she returns from vacation.

Jock

Joined Feb 6, 2002
Thanks Jock. :) Im very interested in the answer and learning about how exactly to use this ingredient.

Jodi

Joined Jul 26, 2002
Jodi,

Karela is bitter melon. In India we use it for its bitter flavor. IN Indian cooking bitter is as important to the complexity of a meal as are sweet, sour and spicy.

Karelas in India are somewhat smaller than the ones we find in the US. Every so often in the Indian markets on Lexington avenue, I am able to find small bitter melons.

We stuff them, slice them and deep fry the sliced melon to make crisps, we cook them sliced as a stir fry. Some cook these with potatoes, other cook them in a tamarind sauce.

Some shave the outside and drowse the melons in excess salt to bring out most of the bitter juice. Then these are washed and cooked. Some do what I just explained and then go further by marinading the melons in yogurt for several hours. They feel that the yogurt further reduces the bitterness.

I love bitter melon chips. To make these you simply shave the skin to remove some of the portrusions. Drowse them in salt and let them drain for at least a couple of hours. Wash thoroughly and drain on paper towles. Slice into thin rounds and deep fry these and drain again on paper towels. Sprinkle with some Chaat Masala (it is a spice blend y ou can find at Indian stores). And serve hot.

I also am known to make these stuffed with fried onions and some spices. I use the melons that have been salted and drained as above. I then make a slit in the center, being careful to not detach the ends. In this slit I stuff caramelized onions that have been perked up with salt, pinch of cayenne, some toasted cumin, finely minced cilantro leaves, a pinch of garam masala and some chaat masala. I then tie these up to make sure the stuffing does not fall out. IN a large frying pan, I take some oil, in the oil I add a pinch of asafetida, 1/4 teaspoon of carom seeds, pinch of turmeric and some ground coriander seed powder and if available some amchoor (mango powder) and a cup of finely sliced onions. I fry these for two to 3 minutes and then add the stuffed melons. Stir fry the melons till they have started to get some color. Sprinkle a few drops of water as the pan dries out and the content begin to brown. Do this for 5 minutes. Cover with a lid and cook on a very low flame for another 5-10 minutes. Stir every so often to make sure the melons are browning evenly. Uncover, check to see if the melons are cooked, if not cook covered for 5 more minutes. When ready, serve hot with your favorite dal and some pita bread.

Jock, I would be very interested in also knowing more about that recipe you mention.

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Suvir,or others.

Is this the same melon as the Kakhi/Kakri pickling melons?

I have seen these in Asian markets under the name Chekiang melon and have made piccadillias with them and watermelon rind to serve with seafood.
cc

Joined Jul 26, 2002
I have only ever seen them called bitter melon or at times as bitter squash.
You can find these at Indian stores or Chinese/Asian markets.

I am not sure if they are similar to what you mention. Sorry!

Joined May 11, 2001
I've also seen bitter melon labeled with the phonetic Chinese name "Foo Qua" (foo-kwa). It looks like a wrinkled cucumber (longitudinal wrinkles and waxier). My mom used to force me to eat the stuff when I was younger because it was good for blood-related illnesses (no idea what those are). I actually don't mind bitter melon (or ampalaya in Filipino) anymore although I never cook it myself. My mom is visiting and some friends gave us a couple from their garden, so I think I'm having some for dinner -- braised with other veggies, chicharones and some anchovy paste. My mom also cooks bitter melon with black bean sauce or just stir fried with some ground pork and onions.

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Sounds delicious, Risa. I saw some beautiful ones in the store today, but won't have a chance to use them before they get too old.

What sort of flavor do bitter melon have? Anything they can be compared to?

Latest posts

Top Bottom