A question about Covers...

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by rgm2, Jun 10, 2011.

1. rgm2

rgm2

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I was reading in another thread that 100 covers is very very busy. I have never worked in the BOH in a regular restaurant as anything but an expediter/food runner. 100 covers does not seem very busy for the places I have worked, but is this pretty busy for you guys? My partner and I server about 200 to 250 people a day in my cafe. But this is only burgers, grilled chicken fish and chips and stuff like that.

2. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Well, it really depends on the capacity of the facility.

When I operated a 20 top bistro, 100 covers = 4 turns, that's pretty busy! Especially with one BOH and 1 FOH /img/vbsmilies/smilies/laser.gifhump city!

Now, for a 100 top restaurant, that's a single turn, kinda slow, IMO

My wife and I did 300 burgers in under one hour at a fly-in once.

3. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    It depends on not just the seating capacity, but the style of the restaurant as well.

Say like at an In~n~Out, 100 covers a shift/meal service is nothing to get excited about. I think seating for them is ~40-50 plus drive through.

But for places like El Bulli, service would break down at 100 covers. Seating IIRC is 50.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  4. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Depends on a lot of factors, type of place, type of menu, capacity of kitchen, type and how much equipment etc.

5. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    True dat. I've seen quite a few menu v equipment conflicts. I think the classic is not enough fryer space.

6. crazycookin

crazycookin

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My restaurant seats 266 people at full capacity including our little atrium. 100 covers is a slow night. On a really ROCKIN night, we'll do up to 700 covers. I haven't seen this yet but I hear it happens. Our ticket times are about 12 minutes, 16 for something like a well done steak. 

7. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    12 minutes is excellent. What type restaurant is it. Last place I was in was minimum  15 minutes between courses but it was upscale fine dining. WhenI was in NY we knocked out 2000 out of 2 kitchens at same time  in about 18 minutes , but that was banquet style. One kitchen fed 1/2 dining room and other one did other 1/2

Service was called rolling a room which meant about 10 waiters carried plates into dining room and 10 stayed out there to serve on each side. It was organized an most of time went well.