A pleasant diversion before dinner

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by teamfat, Jul 15, 2013.

1. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food

Unsacred Brewing is a side project of Epic Brewing here in Salt Lake.  This is a very nice, drinkable IPA.

mjb.

2. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I got a glass or two of red wine at lunch while cooking the pork ribs. Yeah, i know about that blasphemy of a green glass with red wine, but i'm fond of it.

3. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Some time ago I posted a picture of a plate that had a tumbler of wine to the side.  I caught some grief because the wine wasn't, horror of horrors, in the proper stemware.

mjb.

4. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Your comments made me think of this:

In every tv show i've ever seen, in every movie, if someone is alone at home and drinks a glass of wine, it's always in a proper thin glass, long stemmed wine glass. 

It always seemed incredibly impractical - they clang around in the dishwasher, they're easy to break if you wash by hand, but do real people really come home and pull out the fancy crystal for a glass of wine all alone??? 

To me it would seem like pulling out the fancy china when I'm getting my bowl of cheerios when i'm alone and don't have to cook dinner and don;t feel like it.  (I don't have fancy china, but if i did...).  Or having a tea when i get home from work, and rather than have it in my practical mug, pulling out a teapot and china teacup with saucer.  I know it has its appeal, but i just can't imagine bothering when i'm tired and want to relax, which is what these films always depict.   

and by the way, the red and green are very nice together i think, Ordo, and makes the red deeper and more appealing. 

5. culinairezaken

culinairezaken

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Since we have kids the fancy tableware stayed in the closed...

Pieter.

I love to cook with wine, sometimes i even put it in the food...

6. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    In Greek homes nobody owns stemware.  Wine is served in thin whiskey glasses.

7. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I always use proper wine glasses:D

And always make a pot of tea, using loose leaf tea, not teabags:D:D

8. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I've been known to drink wine out of a coffee cup, most of the time used a rocks glass, and have been known to swill my beer straight out of the can or bottle!

9. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    What i hate is those enormous Riedel glasses. Also the tit and flute champagne glasses. I'm always looking at garage sales to find small, very thin (a must) glasses.

10. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I would gladly join you, teamfat, looks indeed like a very nice artisanal unfiltered beer made with a lot of effort. I think it needs the same respect that all artisanal products disserve.

Maybe that's why the rest of the posts are all about what glass to use? Don't get me wrong, I do believe that anyone should do whatever they like at their own home, period. I live in beer country "par excellence" if I may say so but please understand we have our very own rituals in beer serving that are very different than in many other countries.

It's quite nice to have a beer served in its proper glass. When you visit a café in Belgium, you will always drink a beer in its proper, own glass. At home it's a different situation. The die hards will certainly look for the proper glasses with the specific brand name on it, like the ones used in cafés. Let's make a difference between consumption beers à la pils and degustation beers like the one you had. Degustation beers really need a large glass to fully enjoy the aromas and the whole beer savoring experience. Degustation beers are never drank in just a few seconds. A large wine glass like the one I'm showing is perfect for that. Don't go for expensive crystal, a nice cheaper glass will do perfectly. If you want a nice white "collar" as we call it, the glass needs to be completely free of any grease. Can you believe almost the whole bottle went into that glass, there's just one finger high of beer left in the bottle.

The beer in the following picture is called "Omer", an 8° degustation beer brewed at a 10 minutes drive from where I live. This beer is only a few years old but has won an impressive number of prices on the international beer market. Available in many countries!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  11. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    When it's really hot out - nothing beats an insulated plastic cup with a lid and straw!

With lots of ice and rose wine.... 
    (  How's that for Asian Red-Neck? )

sparkys44 likes this.
  12. goldilocks

goldilocks

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    A favourite tipple (although I'm partial to a glass of wine or three, and a lovely cooling G&T too).

Cheers! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif

13. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    I'm with you on the tea, ishbel - I always use loose tea too - i like plain unbroken ceylon tea (orange pekoe)  which i buy by the kilo. but i have a mesh basket that sits in my mug.  I do like nice chinaq for a tea, but i don;t like having a ton of dishes to wash - cup, saucer, teapot

I like my tea strong because i use milk and sugar in it, but i don;t like that excessive tannic flavor that sticks your tongue to the roof of your mouth.  Teabags use broken tea which i think releases too much of that. 

14. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That's a great cookbook, too. Out of Print now and often more than I want to spend when I've checked Amazon for a used copy in good condition.

15. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Open beer bottle, wipe off the neck where the cap was, drink... stays colder and more carbonated in the bottle.

16. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home

BDL

17. bughut

bughut

Exp:
    Professional Chef

Sencha green tea and sugar free ginger beer. Im on the wagon cos there are too many blooming calories in booze right now. The teapots great as the leaves come out when its just right

I use special cups and saucers on my own when i need to feel a bit special

18. donaldosborne78

donaldosborne78

Exp:
    Food Writer

Chill hibiscus tea with lemon and some sugar.

19. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    This is how I attempted to combat the heat wave in the East Coast today.

dirty mojito

[​IMG]

20. sparkys44

sparkys44

Exp:
    Other
    see below

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013