A NEW VIDEO ... “SuperFake” ... Fake Burnt Ends ...

Joined Jan 4, 2011
Regular fake burnt ends are usually made with chuck-roast. This time I’m going with hanger-steak which is a much more tender cut of meat and takes a lot shorter cooking time

Please ENJOY ...

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I'm not seeing the point of faking them compared to the traditional method.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I’m completely fascinated by your quest to perfect “fake burnt ends”. Learning something new with each of your experiments. This a success!

I had similar reaction to others when I read “hanger steak”. That must have been a really great deal you got.

Lots of ingredients… almost overwhelming for the sauce. But if you say it works, I believe.

Really nice production quality in all aspects except the background music. Oh well… next time, perhaps.

Have you ever thought about doing food TV? You gotta think about it. Your POV can be “Forty ingredients or more… and no leftovers!”

Joined Jan 4, 2011
YES kuan ... It generally is. Almost nothing however is sized for “portions” at Restaurant Depot; meat-wise anyway. I got a pkg of 4 larger hanger steaks instead of a really big chuck roast. I can trim-out and freeze the hanger steaks ... and they will be gone in a coupla weeks. I don’t want any equivalent amount of chuck-roast for any amount of time. Funny me ... but I just can’t get excited about chuck-roast.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
Well phatch ... it’s just a thing. I got hooked on an interesting dish ... and I went with it. I don’t know what prices are like by you. Brisket ain’te cheap. When you want only the flat or the point is gets even pricier. And doing “this” fake batch was the shortest cook time.

*** As for that cook time.
We did this on a brand new grill. The actual temp was greater than 350*. I want the temp to be 250* next time. And I’m gonna reduce the cooking time to 40-minutes each session.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
brianshaw ... shopping at Restaurant Depo can be a real experience. You don’t just walk into the cooler section and pick out 2 nice steaks for your date and yourself. You get the entire primal cut and trim them out yourself ... and you’ve got a lot of steaks. We couldn’t find any smaller chuck-roast steaks.

There were WAY more ingredients on that table than we really used. We had planned to make 2 more videos ... but that didn’t happen. I also cut my vid-time down by not talking about all the stuff like I originally planned. I went from explaining everything down to “Use what you like.”.
The only things that went into the seasoning were the Rufus Teague and Jack Daniels rubs, the 2 Weber seasonings; Chicago Steak and Roasted Garlic and Herbs, Celery Salt and Black Pepper.

As far as TV ... well yeah. I’m "Chef Francis ... the Chicago Chef". ... I think I need a lot more polish and gravy though.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Brisket is the cut of beef i buy most often which is about once per quarter. Usually for pho (point)and as a pot roast(flat) it's the cheapest cut of beef/pound, you just have to buy a big chunk. So, yeah, you're into it for 50-60 bucks. And I trim out pounds of fat separating the two, but still cheaper than buying pretrimmed.

As to barbecue brisket, it's good, but i like just about everything else better. So thus my not seeing the point of your endeavor.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
LOL ... I LOVE BRISKET.

How long does it take to make brisket burnt ends? HOW LONG? I’m thinking that I can get this down to TWO(2) Hours. Is it nice tasty delicious brisket ... NO. But at the same time ... NOBODY is ever turning it down.

It’s just a project.

Top Bottom