A new biscuit in the oven

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by regularjoe, Mar 13, 2004.

1. regularjoe

regularjoe

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself, I have been browsing ChefTalk for several months and decided it was time to jump in.

I grew up in the restaurant business, my parents were restauranteurs, but I have no professional training.

After leaving home, I spent 15 years in the Air Force as a food & sanitation inspector. Ya I know, but I would like to think I was one of the ones with a bit of common sense. :)

These days I am a photographer and writer. My photography is primarily landscape, fine art, and stock photography. My writing is nonfiction. I am currently working on a book about learning to cook without recipes--basically the way my mother taught me. It's certainly not a new concept, but I haven't found any books that approach it in practical terms. It may end up being "mission impossible" for the same reasons that you can't teach someone to play a musical instrument by ear. Time will tell.

Lastly, I am also personal chef to my wife of many years. She is a vegetarian with a chocolate allergy. As someone raised in the Midwest on meat and gravy, there has been some adjustment involved.

Looking forward to being a part of the group!

Regards,

Joe

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Welcome Joe,

Glad you decided to join us.

I was browsing your photo journal on your web site, beautiful work and very cool presentation.

3. regularjoe

regularjoe

Thanks for compliment.

I would like to do some food/cooking photos, but haven't figure out the right apprach. I want it to be something different from just the normal food shots, something actually captures the process of cooking.

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Joe, we're glad to welcome you to the Chef Talk community. Many of us learned to cook as you did. I would be very interested to see your book when it's done! I also enjoyed your photos.

Good luck with your project.

Mezzaluna