A new biscuit in the oven

Joined Mar 12, 2004
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself, I have been browsing ChefTalk for several months and decided it was time to jump in.

I grew up in the restaurant business, my parents were restauranteurs, but I have no professional training.

After leaving home, I spent 15 years in the Air Force as a food & sanitation inspector. Ya I know, but I would like to think I was one of the ones with a bit of common sense. :)

These days I am a photographer and writer. My photography is primarily landscape, fine art, and stock photography. My writing is nonfiction. I am currently working on a book about learning to cook without recipes--basically the way my mother taught me. It's certainly not a new concept, but I haven't found any books that approach it in practical terms. It may end up being "mission impossible" for the same reasons that you can't teach someone to play a musical instrument by ear. Time will tell.

Lastly, I am also personal chef to my wife of many years. She is a vegetarian with a chocolate allergy. As someone raised in the Midwest on meat and gravy, there has been some adjustment involved.

Looking forward to being a part of the group!

Regards,

Joe

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Welcome Joe,

Glad you decided to join us.

I was browsing your photo journal on your web site, beautiful work and very cool presentation.

Joined Mar 12, 2004
Thanks for compliment.

I would like to do some food/cooking photos, but haven't figure out the right apprach. I want it to be something different from just the normal food shots, something actually captures the process of cooking.

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Joe, we're glad to welcome you to the Chef Talk community. Many of us learned to cook as you did. I would be very interested to see your book when it's done! I also enjoyed your photos.

Good luck with your project.

Mezzaluna

Top Bottom