A Nakiri Knife that vegetables dont stick to?

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by jasonjjj, Oct 20, 2014.

1. jasonjjj

jasonjjj

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hello everyone

Just looking for a Nakiri Knife or Santoku, that can chop vegetables without the veg sticking to the blade. i have tried a wusthof santoku and it sticks and veg flies under the blade ( very annoying )

japanese or western handle i dont really mind, price range under £90, im in the Uk so if they sell the knife in the Uk great! 

Any help would be great thanks, i dont really know what im looking for in terms of what makes veg not stick to the knife ( especially cucumber )

i tried doing a little search a lot of knifes people recommend are £120 and upwards, not in my price range

P.s ( sorry for another "help me find a knife thread" )

2. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I don't think they're usually used for that but I have wondered how an Usuba would work here. You have that large single bevel that I imagine would steer food off the blade.  Maybe pull out the dremel and put some scalloping or s-grind in there.  Thick at the spine, murderously thin at the edge, you could micro-bevel it a bit to give the needed durability for wacking into the board repeatedly.

Rick

3. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  4. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Oh no, then I've been using my Nakiri for the wrong things. I ONLY use it for veg. What is it supposed to be used for?

5. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Well you have to excuse the autistic kid here if I wasn't completely clear.  What I meant exactly is that the Usuba is not typically used for gross food prep - such as is typically done with nikiris, chefs, etc.

Rick

6. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Thanks for the clarification.  You are completely excused - autistic or otherwise.  :)

7. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Proper convex grinding and a thin blade behind the edge are fundamental to avoid sticking. Also using water frequently in between cuts. Here's a good example of how a good grinding helps:

8. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Yeh, it's practically an Usuba, but double beveled.

Rick

9. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
     It's a joke really but I actually was diagnosed Asperger's at age 48.  Nowadays no one suspects at all unless I tell them, or have an autistic moment.  ;-)~

Rick

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014