A little question about the brand of sandwich

Joined Mar 15, 2018
Need to buy a small sandwich unit to separate our salads and cold sandwiches from the regular line. I have zero experience which buying this type of equipment so I have no brand knowledge. I want to avoid the potential pratfalls of buying purely on price, but of course, I don't want to over pay. We only have room for a tiny unit, probably 28". I've found prices on-line ranging from around $1000-$1800 with Migaili the cheapest (never heard of them!) to Turbo Air, to True. Any advice from experience equipment buyers out there?

Joined Sep 26, 2017
What exactly are you trying to get? I can't seem to understand what you meant by a "sandwich unit".

Joined Oct 10, 2005
What 21TonyK said...

In addition,

Buy from a local dealer, not the Internet. The dealer will service what they sell, and if they do that, they will also stock parts for that brand.

Warranty :
Minimum 1 year parts and labour, if they can't do a year, run, don't walk away. Better units have 3-5 yrs warranty on the compressor as well.

Stay away from plastic interior walls, they will crack. Bare Aluminum is only slightly better because it oxidizes badly. S/s lined is best with coved (rounded smooth) corners and wall/floor junctions. Coated aluminum is a good compromise.

Forced air is best, gravity coil are sloppy, drippy, messy, and prone to badly icing up.

Shelving system should be solid, better units don't have those stupid clips that pop out if the standards and rust within 5 minutes. Industry standard is plastic coated wire shelves. Cheaper ones sag very quickly, then fall out of the clips because the sag makes them shorter, and the cheaper ones usually have the plastic chipping/cracking off the wire within a few months.

In short, I can't tell you to buy X, y, or z. You have to compare the warranties, the features, price, and who carries it. If the only supplier is 300 miles away, it's a poor choice even if the features and warranty stacks up.

Hope this helps

Joined Oct 29, 2012
Get drawers if you can...SO much better.
I just talked to a tech that services fridges and he says avoid sandwich units with drawers because, « it’s only a matter of time before the drawer rails and gaskets get messed up and then they don’t close properly. » Any opinions about this? I love the drawers too, but I don’t want to buy a headache.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
Just for simple information value to the newcomers to this thread ... It's a thread from MARCH 2018.

Joined Aug 15, 2003
Gaskets are pretty easy to replace and a common maintenance for lowboys and sandwich units anyways. I’ve never had issues with rails failing or anything, I imagine proper maintenance and cleaning will mitigate a lot of that.

I’ve had lots of doors on lowboys fail for various reasons over the years too.

Joined Oct 29, 2012
Gaskets are pretty easy to replace and a common maintenance for lowboys and sandwich units anyways. I’ve never had issues with rails failing or anything, I imagine proper maintenance and cleaning will mitigate a lot of th
I’ve had lots of doors on lowboys fail for various reasons over the years too.
Thanks!

Top Bottom