A Jones for Popcorn

Joined Jan 1, 2001
I absolutely LOVE popcorn! I can't get enough of the stuff! But I have a special way of eating it that may seem strange-- I sprinkle nutritional yeast on it that I buy at the health food store. It boosts the protein and adds a multitude of B vitamins making a bag of popcorn into a healthy, balanced meal.
And--it's absolutely delicious! I've even got my 84-year-old Dad eating it (strictly a meat-and-potatoes kind of guy.)

I've been eating it this way for well over 20 years since my old "crunchy, granola-head" hippie days. Do only old ex-hippies eat their popcorn this way?
Has anyone else heard of this treatment to popcorn?

I LOVE POPCORN!

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Never tried it like that before. My favorite is a spiced-up popcorn with a blend of red pepper flakes, ground cumin, turmeric, cracked black peppercorns, salt and vegetable oil.

It's really lip-smackingly good!! :lips:

Joined Jul 24, 2001
I love pop corn too. I just have it plain. Butter and salt.
But I Love the taste of yeast.
Can you be more specific foodnfoto? I'd like to taste that

:lips:

Joined Jun 1, 2001
Nutritional yeast and popcorn are the chocolate and peanut butter of the savoury world! The yeast has a lovely rich cheesy flavour (it's way, way tastier than any of that powdered popcorn "cheeze" stuff, and much better for you of course!) Plus, it tends to melt a bit when put over hot food, which means it sticks nicely.

Air-popped popcorn, a spritz of butter spray, nutritional yeast and salt are my standbys. Chili powder is good, added in. If I'm fussing, the yeast, cayenne, a teaspoon of sugar and a teaspoon or two of garlic powder, all powdered in a spice grinder, makes a great "Hot Cajun" corn.

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Are you talking about the same yeast that is so popular in Australia or is it something else?

Joined Jan 1, 2001
The yeast that I use is a yellow, dry, flaky substance grown on molasses for the specific use as a nutritional supplement. It's different from brewer's yeast which looks similar, but tastes much nastier. I think it may also be called torula yeast and is sometimes sold with the brand name "Red Star". Red Star also makes a brand of baking (bread) yeast which should not be confused with what I sprinkle on popcorn.

I think, though am not certain, that Vegemite and Marmite (popular sandwich spreads in Australia) are a semi-liquid, paste-like form of the same product.

I buy this yeast at natural food stores that have an extensive bulk foods (sadly, a rare thing here in the NY-Metro area) departments and purchase it by the pound. If you go to one of those natural or health food stores that are really vitamin stores, you are unlikely to find it. Try a natural food co-op, Whole Foods, Wild Oats or other true natural "FOOD" store that emphasizes the word "food" in its approach.

If you find it, check out the nutritional makeup. If there is a more perfect food, I challenge you to find it. High in protein, low in carbohydrates, no fat to speak of (maybe 1 g/2 tablespoons yeast) and loaded with B-complex vitamins.
Don't forget--it tastes really good. Kind of like parmesan cheese.

Joined Jan 1, 2001
I've found some more info about nutritional yeast-

Nutritional Yeast
This can come in flakes or powder. It is most commonly bright yellow, but sometimes it is a dull yellow-brown in color. It is used as a flavoring agent in many vegan dishes to simulate a cheesy flavor. It is grown from molasses and is high in many nutrients, include many B vitamins. It can be used in gravies, casseroles, and tastes great on popcorn.

If you live in the UK and have problems finding this ingredient, you can purchase "Nutritional Yeast Flakes", purchased from UHURU WHOLEFOODS,in Oxford, U.K. The supplier is Marigold Health Foods Ltd. 102, Camley Street, London. N W 1 OPF. Thanks to Jack Marvel for tracking this info down.
Sample Recipes: Golden Potato Soup, Vegetable Lasagne, Pasta with Kale Sauce Scrambled Tofu

Joined Apr 30, 2001
As long as I can use my whirlypop...I'm a happy popcorn person!

BTW, I'm guessing that this nutritional yeast is not the same awful stuff we sprinkled on everything in the 70s....I will run down to my local health food store and see if they have some!

Top Bottom