A Hiromoto find

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by benuser, Apr 1, 2015.

1. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
  2. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Let us know how it sharpens up.  SLD I believe is an improved version of D2.  I here D2 doesn't take such a great edge, or at least is difficult to bring to a great edge, wonder if SLD is any better here.

Rick

3. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  4. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Just received the knife. Very nice, large comfortable sandlewooden handle with a tang taper to maintain balance. Arrived with an edge fresh from the grinding wheel I guess, very coarse. Have refined it a bit on a Chosera 800, stropping and deburring on a 2k and split leather, ending with a few strokes on a Snow-white 8k. Hard stuff this SLD, but no hard sharpening. Remembers me of Aogami#2 and Super. Lot of bite.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  5. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    So cheap... must resist!  I don't need a second honesuki!  It could be argued I don't need the first one anymore now that I have the Itinomonn wa butcher...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  6. atatax

atatax

Exp:
    Line Cook
    looking at site, they have a high carbon steel 270mm deba available now too.

7. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Yes, I noticed. 270mm and 400 gram...
    Just wondering what people use such a beast for. Nuts, chocolate?
    I always have an old German blade that deserves some punishment.

8. galley swiller

galley swiller

Exp:
    At home cook
    I thought I had just missed out on that!

When I last looked a few days ago, I saw that the 245 mm western deba was sold out (and had been put up for sale on March 15th).  And I didn't see the 275 mm.

Now, my world is topsy-turvy.  More Hiromotos!  Koki and Futoshi Nagao must be unearthing these as the factory is being dismantled and ransacked!  And they must be posting them on Japanesechefsknife.com as each is hand-carried to Koki.

Since opening this thread a few minutes ago, I've just bought one of the 275 mm western debas.  I just couldn't resist!

Now, if I can just explain it (after the fact) to the family banker.....

Galley Swiller

9. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    With those 400 grams in your hand nobody will ask you for any explanation.

10. galley swiller

galley swiller

Exp:
    At home cook
    You don't know the Family Banker.  It will be an "offer" I can't refuse    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

GS

millionsknives likes this.
  11. atatax

atatax

Exp:
    Line Cook
    there are a lot of Gingami No.3 still available as well.

12. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Good god it is cheaper than tojiro western deba. I dont have a beater for lobsters and grilling season is coming up. I like to split em in half and brush with butter. Anything I should know about sk4 steel?

13. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    It's the steel used by Hiromoto in its former HC series, by Fujiwara with the FKH and in the Kikuichi Elite carbon. A bit coarsely grained, some contaminants perhaps, certainly a bit of sulfur in it as you will smell if you don't force a patina. Very easy to work with. Takes a great edge with some bite and holds it quite well, but that will as always depend on the heat treatment. But Mr Nagao knows his stuff.

14. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Once you tame sk4 stinky smell (about 10 times mustard forced patina and 1 year of use) it's a superb steel. Not even comparable to G3.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  15. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    In my experience the specific sulfur smell disappears almost instantly with the first forced patina. What remains is the carbon steel smell all my other carbons have as well as long as the steel hasn't calmed down. Make sure to use every day and within two weeks it has got stable. If you really can't stand the carbon odour you may inhibit reactivity with backing soda. I prefer the patina route, much more fun.

16. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Sorry but sk4 is a different steel.
     Not my experience. To each his own.

17. spoiledbroth

spoiledbroth

Exp:
    Line Cook
    ahhhhh koki (just?) put the tenmi jyuraku g3 240mm back in stock (I've been creeping the hiromoto page at jck debaing whether to get the 270)! snagged me one... but the CAD is trading at 77 cents on the USD... sad day for my pocketbook. set me back 196 but I'm saving it for the day (hopefully long from now) when my tojiro dp 240 gyuto kicks the bucket. Koki told me he'd take special care to send me one with a nice f&f :)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  18. atatax

atatax

Exp:
    Line Cook
    i'm tempted to get the 330mm sujihiki more for personal defense then cooking :p

spoiledbroth likes this.
  19. spoiledbroth

spoiledbroth

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I emailed koki and got a custom saya as well... :( no beer for me this week.

20. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Haha yep! Going out money, lunch money, overtime money all goes to knives...