A hello of sorts

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by plaidmelon, Sep 16, 2003.

1. plaidmelon

plaidmelon

I've been a voyeur for long enough, I thought I should introduce myself. I've been visiting ChefTalk for awhile now, but never really had much to say.

Left psychology/social service last November to get back to my passion. Living and working in Manchester, MI; a small town near Ann Arbor. Working my way up through the ranks, and planning on culinary school in the winter.

Looking forward to some interesting conversations...

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hey, Plaidmelon! We're glad you dived in and introduced yourself. What do you enjoy cooking? Please tell us a bit more about your culinary self.

Welcome!
    Mezzaluna

3. plaidmelon

plaidmelon

Thanks Mezzaluna.

I have no particular cuisine I enjoy more than others. Hodge-podge, really. Depends on the day, I guess.
    Lately, veggies seem to occupy my diet. Usually some random item that caught my eye at the market. This seems to frustrate anyone who may go shopping with me, since I can't stick to a list, and always end up leaving with the items for a meal other than what was planned.
    Although it does make work more fun. My exec chef is pretty open to suggestions. So if something in the walk-in intrigues me it usually follows with an attempt at a dish. And usually quite a bit of learning.

I am also starting to explore fish (various species) since moving to a new restaurant. We have plenty of fish on the menu already, but frequently we'll overnite some exotic (or not so) to tinker with. There has been some discussion on getting some "Skate" (in the ray family) lately. We'll see how that goes.

4. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Welcome to ChefTalk plaidmelon!! Where are you planning on going to culinary school? Have fun playing with the Skate. I love it, though I prefer it cooked traditionally, topped with brown butter, a squeeze of fresh lemon, capers and fresh parsley. You can't beat that!!! Hope you enjoy your time here at CT!!

5. mike

mike

Welcome plaidmelon.

I believe the sign of a thoughtful cook is one that goes to the market without a shopping list. I have the same habit particularly when visiting farmers or French markets, it ends up with whoever im with going off for a drink & leaving me like a kid in a sweet shop for a few hours.

Skate, did you know that fisherman are roumered to commonly have sex with this poor fish ! So wash it well !!!! Its great with a citrus herb crust roasted .