A guy calling himslf a chef and is NOT

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by baldguy96, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baldguy96

baldguy96

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Recently I ran across a website run by a guy in Australia called Liveeatandlisten.tv He calls himself the singing CHEF. I inquired of him where he went to culinary school as I saw no mention of any schooling in his Bio. He replied acting rather defensive saying that " it doesn't matter what you call yourself". I told him that "chef" is an earned title and that you just can't call yourself a chef anymore than you can just call yourself a Dr., or a lawyer, or a priest, or a pilot. I explained to him that chefs are trained individuals that spent time and money learning a specific craft and it was offensive that he would just call himself a chef without having earned the title. Maybe if he heard from more professional people in the industry than just me, he might change his thinking.Especially any Australian Chefs. This guy is a imposter.

2. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    A lot of people do this, particularly on the food network. Restaurant owners often do this when they are interviewed. Only problem is when orders start to fly and burners start to light they can't take the heat or the pressure. Everyone can talk a good game , but to produce it????????

3. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Darn straight!

BDL

4. thegardenguru

thegardenguru

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Legally, one must have an MD or PhD to call themself a "Dr." or "doctor".

Legally, one must have a JD to call oneself a "lawyer"

"priest" has many and messy definitions, some "legal", some common.

Anyone who can fly a plane can call themselves a "pilot", whether they've had "professional" training or schooling or not.

When it comes to being a "chef", the best definition I could find is that a "chef" is a "professional cook" and in some definitions, "the head of a [commerical"?] kitchen".

As far as I know, culinary schools do not bestow one the "title" of chef. A "PhC", a "CD"?

Certainly, we have the romantic connotations of "chef". I'm sure the members of this forum would like others to honor the consensual concept, yes?

Your antagonist, baldguy, reminds me of a celebrity in my primary field of horticulture. He calls himself "America's Master Gardener". He made up the title himself. He has no horticulture degree. And he urks the thousands of Americans who have taken additional training through cooperative extension services to earn the real title of "Master Gardener". Trouble is, he made up the phrase before the "Master Gardener" program was instituted.

Joe

5. bazza

bazza

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ha ha this is going to be an interesting thread. This is an outrageous statement. :lol:

6. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Unless I'm totally misinformed, "chef" is a French word meaning "chief" in English and does not, necessarily, relate specifically to the culinary world, that is, one may be a "chef" as an electrician, plumber, mechanic, etc. It simply means "one who is in charge". In the military, the equivalent might be "Captain", "Major", "Colonel", or "General", depending on the unit size and has NOTHING to do with the mission of the unit.

Now, it is true, especially in the U.S.A., that "chef" has become generic for someone who is recognized as having "culinary skills", but that does NOT make it "official" in any sense of the word.

A "chef" is nothing more, nor less, than a manager of a unit, regardless of size or mission. (S)he is the one "in charge", period. QED.

7. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    That's true but not entirely accurate. DO's for example today are for all intents and purposes the same as a MD. Two different medical phosophies but both doctors. Some medical schools (MSU) have both programs on the same campus so you just missed a few that have earned the title Doctor. Your dentist may be a Doctor as well if he/she is a DDS or DDM. ;)
    I don't know if any one can regulate the title Chef. I bet if we took a poll only a fraction of those who would say they are Chef's on CT are currently certified by the ACF or any one else. I'd venture a guess that many have never been certified for that matter.
    Does this matter? I guess it depends on the individual and their ability to do more than talk a good game.

8. thegardenguru

thegardenguru

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks for the additional information DuckFat. I'm sure there's a few more "doctors" (e.g., DVMs). I was doing my best to make a simple point in but a few words.

Does ACF Certifications/Designations (CCC, CEC, CMC, PCC, etc.) make one a "chef"?

Joe

9. thegardenguru

thegardenguru

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Was James Beard a "chef"? Was he "certified"?

Joe

10. just jim

just jim

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It makes you certified.
    Your ability makes you a Chef.
    I would think if you were able to earn cerification you would display the skills necessary to earn the title Chef.

And to the OP, you need zero amount of formal training to be a Chef.
    If you can walk the walk, you can talk all you want.

11. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    IMO You can be a Chef with out being certified but certification offers credibility.
    In my book if you are certified by the ACF or one of the other credible organizations world wide then yes you are a Chef or a cook as your certification indicates. You've proven that not only with a test and education in some form but with verified work experience. Not that others can't be Chefs but in the Case of the OP's antagonist if he would have responded....
    I'm an ACF certified CEC then there wouldn't be a lot to debate.
    Now watching the twits on Hells Kitchen who all claim to be "Executive Chefs" is just comical. :lol:

12. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Beard was certainly a great "culinarian," but he wasn't certified. I'm not sure anyone was then. OTOH, he was a rather big deal caterer, so if caterers can be chefs he was one. Can they? What do you think?

I dunno,
    BDL

13. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    I call Beard a 'Gourmand' who cooked and mentored same as Julia, both were great in what they did, and they LOVED it/

14. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Does it matter? After all we all know the reputation of James Beard or even Escoffier or Prosper Montagné. If we know their reputation then certification becomes a bit moot at some point. In the case of an unknown that's another story.

15. thegardenguru

thegardenguru

Exp:
    Professional Chef

16. baldguy96

baldguy96

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I am not trying to "ruin someones reputation"...just set someone straight. I am surprised at the liberal attitude here amongest culinary professionals about someone calling themselves a Chef when they are not. This guy calls himself the "singing chef"..he's not a Chef..it's misleading. Plain and simple.

17. thegardenguru

thegardenguru

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    That's the problem -- it's NOT "plain and simple".

Joe

18. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    WOW! Since your quoting me in that post I have to wonder what brought you to hurling insults my way. I'm not the OP and I have no idea who the person is that you are talking about or if they are a Chef or not. You might consider taking another look at your own posts before you start making statements like that.
    Plain and simple.

19. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Please keep to the topic! Opinions are just that; one person's thoughts. ChefTalk is about sharing ideas and experiences, so please do so in a constructive manner or leave the playground with a note pinned to your toque, "Does not play well with the others!"

Thanks!

20. bazza

bazza

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Wasn't there a muppet called the Swedish Chef? :p

There have been sooo many threads on the credibility of calling oneself Chef, I have never encountered this before except on Cheftalk. In England almost everyone in the brigade is a chef of one kind or another, there is no stigma about it at all, I can only deduce that it is an American thing.

There appears to be a strong opinion that unless you have been to culinary school you cannot be a "real" Chef, and in the OP's case 'an imposter'. In most parts of Europe that would be a very narrow minded point of view. Are you really suggesting that?

Here are some more imposters that come to mind;

Heston Blumenthal
    Raymond Blanc
    Annie Feolde
    Gordon Ramsay
    Marco Pierre White
    Rick Stein

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.