A good dessert wine?

Discussion in 'Pairing Food and Wine' started by chefphilhahn, Nov 10, 2005.

1. chefphilhahn

chefphilhahn

I have some people from the Folio Wine Group coming in this week. I will be serving Creme Brule for dessert. They recommend a Brut. What else could I suggest. I would love some ideas....

2. botanique

botanique

Exp:
    Other
    Are you putting a twist on your CB? Do you want specific labels or type suggestions?

If you want to give them a surprise, hit them with a gewurtz or a port -- but I would really like to know the specifics of the desert (basic CB or...) before we can really dazzle them ;)

3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have lots of favorite dessert wines, but I am thinking that maybe for a Creme Brulee that the "Framboise" from Bonny Doon might be a really good choice. And the nice thing is it is a decent dessert wine, but won't "break the bank."

4. markv

markv

How much are you willing to spend per bottle?

Mark

5. chefphilhahn

chefphilhahn

Money is no object..... these members want to be wowed. The Creme Brule will be a simple version with a chocolate base and a strawberry garnish.

Thank you for all your help thus far...

6. markv

markv

If money is no object, there's no disputing that Sauternes, from the southern Bordeaux region of France is one of the world's best dessert wines.

I would rate Hungary's Tokay as the runner up.

Buy the oldest Sauternes you can afford from a good vintage.

Here's a link to a Sauternes vintage chart:

http://www.intowine.com/sautvin.html

and a link explaining how sauternes is made:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauternes

Mark

7. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I know that Sauternes is a classic pairing with creme brulee, but I just don't know. It seems that so many sauternes are described as containing flavors of "creme brulee" along with all the other flavors. To me, personally, why would I want to drink something that somewhat mimics what I am eating? I would look for a dessert wine that has more "fruit" to it. Beames de venise I usually find a little "brighter" with more tropical fruits. Your idea of a Tokay is a great idea, especially if you stay with the lower puttanyos (sp?). There are also some really good icewines being made in the Niagra area of New York and Canada that are nice and bright with just enough acidity to help cut through the creme brulee.

8. even stephen

even stephen

Vin Santo and biscotti. Perhaps a cheese course as well.

9. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Always remember when pairing wine with a dessert, your wine must be as sweet or sweeter than the dessert.The wine will dry out if it is in reverse.

I totally agree with Mark about Sauternes, my personal favorite. However, seeing your doing a chocolate base with strawberries, this may not be the best route.An aged Madeira with cooked dark stone fruit, raisin,toasted almond may be just the right thing.

good luck

10. chefphilhahn

chefphilhahn

Thank you all for suggestions and great commentary. I will go with an aged Maderia.

11. mangilao30

mangilao30

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Don't forget the Moscato Passito, also great with custards and caramel desserts.

12. chefatl

chefatl

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    St. Supery Moscato is excellent, Also as suggested BD's Framboise. Maybe a late harvest Semillion.

13. botanique

botanique

Exp:
    Other
    Phil -- I am sorry I did not follow up! I hope it all worked out. If the event has not happened yet, may I suggest port again. I think it would balance well with the flavors of the desert, and hold its own without overpowering sweetness. I would go with one bright with berry and/or floral, and not one with smoke or raisin etc. But the other suggestions and your choice will probably work beautifully. Have a great evening!

ChefATL -- Yes, St. Supery makes excellent product all around. I have enjoyed their wine for years, as well as many tastings at their winery. I try to hop up to the wine country once a month or so -- is an hour away.

14. mike

mike

I recently tried a sparkling dessert wine from Inneskillen which is in Canada. Now Ive tasted some great Sauternes , Passitos etc but this blew my mind...also brown Brothers Orange Muscat is unusual....

sorry its late,,,

www.thesoulofgreatwines.com

15. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Inneskillen is known for their Ice Wines if I am not mistaken. And some darn fine wines they are!