A fight brewing over the labeling of sugar

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by kuan, Mar 9, 2015.

1. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
  2. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    What would you consider a better, viable, long term solution? I'm not sure there's one, but I haven't spent too much time thinking of one. I'd love to hear your opinion if you have an idea. 

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
  4. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I don't know that it is viable in general, but what i have found that works for me is assuming personal responsibility for my own well being and nutritional education and not expecting government to babysit me.
    "unknowingly and unavoidably consuming excess sugar"...Gee, nobody told me that jumping out of airplane at 30,000 feet without a parachute could hazardous to my health so it was unavoidable and I did so unknowingly.

flipflopgirl likes this.
  5. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I'm just annoyed that somehow we, as a society, believe that processed foods are our first option, therefore we need to fix the problem of processed foods by somehow fixing the processes and laws surrounding processed foods.

The solution is to eat as close to the natural source as possible.  There are people who believe that organic processed foods are better than just plain old chicken even though they are processed horribly.  Face it, 20 grams of organic sugar is still 20 grams of sugar.

Annoyance.  Hungry?  Eat a piece of fruit, a chunk of cheese, a hunk of bread.

6. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Spot on @kuan
    The absolute worst is what is considered an acceptable snack for kids.
    The "fruit" snax and cereals and even yogurts full of sugar is still considered "natural".
    Wrapped up in colorful kid friendly portion sizes ......to the undereducated parents and caregivers it looks like it is ok to hand out several times a day.
    After all it says natural on the package.

What irritates me the most is the single serving pack of baby carrots that comes with a side of ranch dressing ( full of fat and other additives) .
    Or the peeled apple slices with the caramel dip!
    When did it become mandatory for a fruit or veg to have a dip?

mimi

7. kuan

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Since they started growing them to look pretty and taste like crap? 

8. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    ;-)

m.

9. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Personal responsibility?  Why would anyone want to do that?  I'd rather wait until the government steps in because I can't be bothered to act responsible on my own, but then I'm gonna gripe about how the government is intruding into our lives.  I like that option better!!!   /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smoking.gif  
    That's what happens when you start breeding for durability, longevity, and disease resistance instead of for flavor.  But people demand that they have access to all sorts of fruits and vegetables year round so we have to breed these things to withstand journeys of thousands of miles and a shelf life of weeks, even when ripe.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  10. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My wife and I ate at a national pizza chain today, which is something we almost never do (national chain anything) maybe once a year. They asked us if we wanted ranch dipping sauce for our pizza. I was dumbfounded! Say what!!!

We were about the only ones that I saw in the dining room eating that weren't dipping our pizza. God help us.