A cook's confessions

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, Jun 10, 2016.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I confess:

I use instant mash potatoes.

I like soggy greasy fries.

2. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I confess:

I like reduced fat Pringles, onion rings and American cheese on my burgers.

I use queso salsa from a jar for nachos.

3. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks for chiming in!  So do you like pringles onion rings and american cheese on your burgers all at once?  I've got my own cheese problems over here.  I love this orange stuff.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  4. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    My mother used to use the instant mashed potato flakes when I was a kid.  As an adult though, I can't come up with anything other than fritos, cheetos, and smart food. And greasy NYC corner pizza joint zlize with pepperoni.  

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/drinkbeer.gifYou guys disgust me. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/laser.gif  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rollsmile.gif  

That was a joke, in case there is doubt. 

5. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    I had Velveeta and Shells for lunch today.  Very nostalgic, very tasty, very disgusting.  Looking at the plate when I was finished, I needed a fresh green scrubby to get the leftover "cheese" off the plate.  Can't believe that's in my stomach right now.  I used to live on that stuff in college. Hadn't had it in years and got the urge to revisit.  Future advice:  Let the past be the past.  

chefhowler87 likes this.
  6. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Not all at once - side of pringles for lunch sandwiches, side of onion rings for wings, or burgers.

I must also confess that the Dairy Queen in town has the best $5 lunch going.  Deluxe cheese burger, or chicken tenders with fries, a beverage and a small sundae . . . all for $5.  The grand kids love it - yeah that's it that's the ticket.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif  

I use the store brand of that product.  I heat it in the microwave so I can do a "Jackson Pollock" number on the layers of nachos as I build 'em.  

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  7. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    I confess:

I occasionally eat convenience store hot dogs. Stewart's stores specifically. A Stewarts pre made sandwich once in a while too. Sometimes it's more important to keep the blood sugar going. 

A banana covered in peanut butter and chocolate chips is a favorite snack. 

8. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I confess to eating those high fat and high sodium 3 minute ramen noodles in a cup. 

Dang whenever im feeling lazy and want something hot to eat i get me a cup noodles, and i drink the cheap knockoff broth too. 

9. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    @chefwriter how does one cover a banana in peanut butter?

10. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    split it like you would for a banana split. 

11. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    To amaze and disgust family and friends,

Peel a bannana, push your index finger into the tip of the bannana and continue to push. The bannana will magically split into 3 equal long segments. Perfect for bannana splits.....

12. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Fruitl loops and Captn crunch. Whenever I'm back home I buy both and bring them back to Sweden with me. Pizza delivery, it's virtually impossible to get a pizza delivered here for some reason, however, most of the "pizza" sold here isn't worth eating in the first place.

13. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I confess:

I make a sandwich of two slices of american cheese, a filling of crunchy peanut butter, and bacon.

14. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    @chefwriter how does one cover a banana in peanut butter?
    What, no onion?

15. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Texas toast (thick bread buttered and toasted both sides) slathered with grape jam and folded over bacon.
    Messy but very very good!

mimi

16. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    After I get home working a long day being a Chef I start making the home made bread. Then I go out and pick the fresh raspberries for homemade jam. While the jam is cooling I milk the cow and put the milk in the cream separator so I could churn some butter. Then I go out to the refer to knock down the 1/2 beef, gather some eggs from the hens and feed the pigs. Holy shit !!!!! do people think chefs make home made food at home all the time. The last thing a Chef wants to do is cook at home after doing it all day..........I have been known to do everything in the world that puts food on the table or makes snacks easier to get into my gut. 

17. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I confess:

I am addicted to chicken skin cracklin' flat, crispy and oh so good.

18. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Nope that ain't a confession. It would be horrific if you did not like chicken skin.

flipflopgirl likes this.
  19. jake t buds

jake t buds

Exp:
    Other
    I love crispy chicken skin from a roast chicken that has been basted and herbed. I've tried to roast skin on a rack on a sheet pan, but just can't seem to get it right. It tastes awful. 

20. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I agree with this.  Chicken skin is best as it is being pulled directly from a hot piece of roasted or fried chicken.  There is a layer of fat between the meat and the skin that stays moist and is a crucial part of the crispy skin.  Take the skin off the chicken and try to cook it on its own and that layer of fat dissolves.  What's left is inferior.  

I met one person who liked the skin of boiled chicken.  Not my cup of tea, but she enjoyed it with relish (as in joy, not chopped pickles).  I prefer the skin of roasted, BBQ, or fried chicken.