A "CLASSIC" for Pete.

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by cape chef, Apr 15, 2002.

1. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Tournedos Henri IV

18 tiny new potatoes
    6 tablespoons (yes 6) butter
    1 teaspoon salt
    ground white pepper
    6 Tournedos
    6 rounds of bread cut to fit the meat and browned in butter
    6 cooked large artichoke hearts
    3/4 cups Bearnaise sauce

Scrape new pototes, wash and pat dry. Cook, covered, very slowly in butter with the salt added, about 30 minutes or until spuds are tender. Meanwhile, broil tournados. Place each steak on a slice of fried bread and place them on a platter. Pile 3 potatoes on each artichoke heart and arrange on the platter arouind the steaks. Pass the bearnaise in a sauce baot.

Serve with a 61 Latour :D
    CC

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    And follow up with Lipitor or Pravacol!:eek:

3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ahhhh, Cape Chef. I love the way you think. Especially the '61' Latour. Funny you should give a recipe with artichokes. I was working with artichokes today, for the first time in quite awhile (in catering, with our clientele I don't get to use fresh ones often, mostly canned :( ) and was thinking of all the ways I love to prepare them. Thank you so much for the recipe. I am beginning to get a little rusty on my classics, time to pull out all the old books....well, I guess it will have to wait a few weeks. I just realized I have packed them all away in anticipation for our move the beginning of May.

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Suzanne,

The 61 latour will take the place of the Lipitor & Pravacol ;)

Pete, I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe..I know you dig the classics.
    When you land in your new home, perhaps we can bounce back and forth some of our favorite classics.

In regards to the chokes, gotta love playing with them.
    cc

5. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Pete -- I think the first food item that got reviewed by a panel of professionals from On The Rail was canned artichokes. As I recall, they thought the brand tasted was excellent. You might want to check out what they said. It was a while ago, but it's still up on the site.

BTW: doesn't Eggs Sardou use artichoke bottoms? With spinach and sauce choron?? If I'm wrong, please correct me.

6. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Suzanne, yes Eggs Sardou uses artichoke hearts and spinach (often times creamed spinach). I will have to check on the Choron though, as I can't seem to quite remember what the sauce is suppose to be.

7. kimmie

kimmie

Here's Sauce Choron

Choron Sauce

2 medium shallots, minced
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1/2 cup white wine vinegar
    3 egg yolks
    4 tablespoon of water
    1/2 teaspoon of salt
    1/2 pound of sweet butter clarified
    1 tablespoon of tarragon minced
    1 teaspoon of tomato paste or 1 tablespoon peeled, seeded, and finely chopped tomato

Directions

1. In a small saucepan, combine the shallots, pepper, white wine, and vinegar. Reduce over medium heat until 2 tablespoon liquid remains.

2. In a heat-resistant mixing bowl, combine the egg yolks, water, salt, and shallot mixture. Whip over hot, but not boiling, water until thick and creamy.

3. Slowly whisk in the melted butter, a few drops at a time, until the sauce begins to emulsify. In a slow stream, whisk in the remaining butter until it is completely incorporated.

4. Whisk in the tarragon. Correct seasoning to taste.

5. Whisk the chopped tomato or tomato paste into the sauce.

(Recipe courtesy of Wolfgang Puck © 2001)

8. kimmie

kimmie

Eggs Sardou are usually served with Hollandaise.