A baking question

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by malecook, Nov 25, 2005.

1. malecook

malecook

Exp:
    At home cook
    I would like to know witch is better to use in cookies, to be a healthier cookie. I have used crisco, to make my oatmeal and whole wheat cookies. They come out the way i like them. Then i was told by someone to use canola oil, than the crisco. The cookies come out more like a drop cookie, than with the crisco. They taste good also. Now a chef at a local hospital told me to use butter, than the other two item's said. But butter has 30mg's of cholesterol, where the other two item's do not. But they do have that bad process done. Partly hydrogenated. You know what i mean. So could someone tell me what you would sugest to use.

Ps. i do not live on cookies, lol I may eat 2 or 3 a day. if that.

Thank you, Malecook.

2. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    MC,
    First off, welcome.
    I am not a dietician or nutritionist. BUT! since I make a living selling sweets, I usually answer that question with. Moderation is key. The key to ridding polution is dilution.
    If your only nibbling a few a day then why not make them the way you like them. Now I'm talking a 1 oz cookie, not 3 or 4 3oz. cookies:suprise:
    If you're hydrated enough I can't see how these will have an impact on your system unless your having a cookie after a pint of hagenDaz;)
    pan

3. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I agree with Pan. If you can control your intake, you're going to enjoy something made with butter more than processed fat. It tastes better, and it's natural.

4. wuzzo87

wuzzo87

Crisco aka vegetable shortening isn't that much healthier than butter.
    Both has its pros and cons.
    Vegetable shortening is hydrogenated vegetable fat that contains quite an amount of saturated fat. Although does not have cholesterol, but saturated fat can be harmful for health too.
    Butter has an amount of cholesterol, but it has the benefits of vitamin A.

Of course, canola oil, olive oil or other oils like sunflower/corn oil would be good as it's rich in polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat, tht's good for ur heart. But....would result in not a very nice cookie :p....

So, it's really a matter of moderation and personal diet choice. :) An occasional treat mebbe??