9 Sous-Vide recipes to try first

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
This came through my feed today, and there were some good surprises in it. Worth looking through I think. A number of them went into EverNote for later use.

1. tuna in olive oil
  2. pickles (FDA approved recipe)
  3. Japanese omelet
  4. Fresh Cheese
  5. Alligator
  6. Whole Pigs Head
  7. vegetables in fruit juice
  8. dirty water hot dogs
  9. Quick Cure Cold Cuts

Last edited:
Joined Oct 23, 2008
Some great ideas. I recently got a vacuum chamber sealer so I've been thinking I need to spend more time with sous vide.

Joined Jan 11, 2021
There are quite a few sous vide recipes that I wouldn't thought of before If i hadnt't seen the YT channel - Sous Vide everything.

They've also done a couple that you've mentioned [Link]

Joined Dec 9, 2020
Not really keen on that list - and I def. use my instant pot 10x more.

Absolute best thing i've cooked SV is Salmon. Was like butter and amazing. But be sure you use a neutral oil. 2nd batch I used some Olive oil and it was too strong. Don't do this much cause no one else in fam. like seafood.

2nd best thing is Pork tenderloin. After SV, Split in half and heavily rubbed. Then pan Sauté in butter, make a sauce & plate it. Usually 1 tenderloin is about 1 lb, so split its a nice 8oz portion.

In my restaurant, I used to smoke a ribeye loin for 2 hours to 125, then bag it and SV for 8hrs until dinner service. Cut with a plastic knife.

Joined Oct 23, 2008
I feel like sous vide excels in just a couple spots vs. other cooking methods. 1. with root vegetables you can cook them to fork tender without losing a drop of their flavor, nor altering it via the method the way poaching, roasting, grilling, etc. do. The results being very pronounced and clean flavors with bright colors. 2. particularly for meats like chicken breast, being able to safely cook it to 140F produces something most people have never experienced in terms of tenderness and juiciness. I guess that's not an entirely new concept since meats have been cooked confit at lower temps, but for home cooks like myself it's a game changer.

Thomas Keller's book mentions that it's a fantastic way to cook octopus without having to beat the snot out of it to tenderize it. That's on my list of things to one day try.

Top Bottom