70/30 grass fed ground beef

Joined Aug 3, 2021
Hello, I'm a terrible griller. I also have b12 deficiency, so I eat a lot of steak. I mostly eat ribeyes that I get from my local farm (they are grass fed and finished and frozen). Today I bought some frozen 70/30 beef because I thought it might be better on my digestive system. I can't seem to grill the ribeyes. They either get underdone and raw when I do them low and slow or over done and hard inside if I do it too hot. I am wondering will the 70/30 percent fat/meat beef juice up on my plate after grilling? I know it's strange but I like to have the red juices on my plate. Is it too much fat to do that? I don't really like lean beef. I like the beef medium rare, but want it to be cooked so the fat is melted as well.

Also, how many ounces should I cook to get a 5.5 oz burger in the end? How long would you grill this? Would you sear each side?

Joined Nov 5, 2007
What sort of grill are you using? Gas, charcoal? You might get better, more consistent results using cast iron on the stovetop.

mjb.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
*** OPINION coming!!!

70/30 beef is cheap eco-garbage. ... You won’t get any “juice” ... just drippy greasy fat.
I use 85/15 for everything.

The first # is the % of “lean meat” per pound and the second # is the % of "fat".

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I like 80/20 or 75/25 ;)
I generally grill on lumpwood charcoal, so I'll loose some fat.
All I can say is try it out and see.
If you are not happy with the burger, then maybe just fry the minced meat and use it in lasagne, taco's, cottage pie or so

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I like 80/20 on cast iron since I usually do "smash"/onion burgers. But on the grill you need to make the patties a little thicker so stand up to the heat IMO. As for ribeye - invest in a sous vide circulator. That way you can cook it to your liking then sear on a hot grill, or skillet.

If I'm making classic Sloppy Joes I use 90/10 and if I'm making Lafayette Coney Island sauce I use 70/30.

Last edited:
Joined Aug 3, 2021
Is it eco - garbage even if it is grass fed?
I only have a charcoal grill that I use lump charcoal with. I don't have a stove that I can cook with a cast iron pan unfortunately.

Joined Jun 7, 2021
I use 80/20 ground beef. There are a few tricks to creating a proper burger. For the size you are looking for, start with a third lb. of uncooked ground beef. Get the charcoal hot; Shape each portion into a ball, then, gently press the ball into a par=ty, using your thumb to smooth the edges, and turning a little each time you press until your burger is about a 12 inch thick. Make the center slightly thinner than the edges, and don't compress the burger too much, Place on the grill for 1 minute, flip, cook for another minute, flip, repeat one more time for a total cook time of 6 minutes, three minutes per side. This will insure even cooking throughout the burger. Lightly season with salt and pepper while the burger is on the grill, as pre-salting will draw out moisture from the meat, making it steam, instead of sizzle. Remover to a plate, grill the bun, and prepare condiments, letting the burger rest for a about 7 minutes.

Ideally, place all of the charcoal on one side of the grill. Cook the burger on the cool side of the grill, with indirect heat, for the first 2 flips, covered, the finish over the hot coals. This method is called reverse searing, and will give you superior results.

Seeeeyal Chief Longwind of the North

Joined Sep 27, 2019
Hello, I'm a terrible griller. I also have b12 deficiency, so I eat a lot of steak. I mostly eat ribeyes that I get from my local farm (they are grass fed and finished and frozen). Today I bought some frozen 70/30 beef because I thought it might be better on my digestive system. I can't seem to grill the ribeyes. They either get underdone and raw when I do them low and slow or over done and hard inside if I do it too hot. I am wondering will the 70/30 percent fat/meat beef juice up on my plate after grilling? I know it's strange but I like to have the red juices on my plate. Is it too much fat to do that? I don't really like lean beef. I like the beef medium rare, but want it to be cooked so the fat is melted as well.

Also, how many ounces should I cook to get a 5.5 oz burger in the end? How long would you grill this? Would you sear each side?
Using 80/20 ground beef, I'd start with a cast iron skillet on top of the grill. Cook each side 90 seconds, removing much fat.
To finish the patty, remove skillet and place on the grill, flipping each side, until done.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
I’m sorry for maybe sounding arrogant.

When I called 70/30 beef “cheap eco-garbage” I was stating my opinion based on ... once again “MY OPINION” ... that 30% fat is way too much. That much fat makes it a cheaper, “eco” from “economy”, grade of meet. After you cook it that 30% fat is just ... to Me ... nasty, and has to be skimmed away. If you made burgers or meatloaf or such there is brutal shrinkage.

I don’t even like 80/20 because I feel that too is too much fat. 80/20 is the most common restaurant grade of ground beef I believe. I like 85/15.

It kinda funny after that because i’m not really keen on 90/10 because it’s tricky to work with because it dries out fast. 93/7 is just crazy-brutal to work with after that. Very tricky.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
I cooked with some 70/30 ground beef once. ONCE.

Now a 70/30 ratio in a flavorful, well seasoned pork sausage is a different matter.

mjb.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Detroit Lafayette Coney Sauce has no tomato in it so it's not "chili" It's one of the few recipes I know for that style that doesn't use a tomato product. It does however need that extra fat content to be authentic.

Top Bottom