6 lb Turkey Breast Roll with stuffing- day ahead, refrigerated without slicing

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by big jim, Dec 25, 2014.

1. big jim

big jim

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hello I am asking a quick food safety question- yesterday afternoon we made a 6.5 lb turkey breast into a turkey roll with stuffing wrapped up in it, cooked it to 190 degrees (took about 2.5 hours at 325 degrees), the put it immediately into the fridge for use today, with a number of guests coming. Is this a food-safe procedure? (we did not slice it up but left it whole- and fresh out of the oven-  when we put it in the fridge). I am wondering if the chefs out there think it is OK this way. I guess we should have sliced it up first before cooling in fridge but we didn't.  

2. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    First, you should be fine. 

Second. I hope you let it cool down a little bit before putting in the fridge. Your post sounds like you put it in hot out of the oven. You'll wear out your poor fridge that way. That will also raise the temperature of everything else in the fridge. 

Cooking to an internal temp of 165 is plenty. 190 is a bit high. Hope everything turns out okay. 

Merry Christmas. 

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You are well over the recommended cooking temp for poultry. If I were you I would reheat this using the reheat prime rib method that I described in another post . plastic then foil

4. big jim

big jim

Exp:
    At home cook
    THANKS for the thoughtful and helpful replies on this very busy day. Much appreciated.