5 Minute Picked Eggs

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by cacioepepe, Jul 25, 2013.

1. cacioepepe

cacioepepe

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    So I'm trying to open the restaurant for breakfast and lunch so I'm thinking of menu items.  We get great trout from the streams of inland Cali and was thinking a cold smoked salmon salad with some pickled eggs.  The thing is I don't want a fully cooked egg, but a runny yolk. Was thinking of doing a 5 minute egg, shocking it, peeling it and adding the pickling liquid on the eggs.  Has anyone done this and would anyone be concerned of a yolk that only got warmed through and then picked for a day or two to serve to guests.  Its something I wouldnt think twice about, but maybe ya'll have some professional insight.

Thanks!

2. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I have partially poached eggs before, shocked and peeled them, dipped them in Tempura batter and deep fried them.

Not exactly what your doing but close enough to let you know it isn't going to be easy.

Over-produce because you're going to lose a few while peeling.

Something else you mentioned that has me concerned.

That being cold smoked salmon.

It is illegal to make this stuff yourself and then sell it to the public.....(at least in Michigan)

It must be purchased from an approved vendor.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  3. borkbork

borkbork

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  4. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Its not legal to produce your own smoked fish in Mich.? Thats just sad. Is it just the cold smoking or hot also? How about non fish? I wonder about laws like this and who they were set up to truely serve.

5. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    No...just cold smoked.....The process requires several days to complete as moisture evaporates from the fish while it smokes low and slow.

The problem has to do with keeping the product out of the danger zone. This has to be done by approved vendors.

6. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I see the intent for food safety there, I know not everyone would be as cafeful about temps as they should. At least your bananas can still be curved, EU regs of insanity have taken that away from us.