5 lessons from working at McDonalds

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by phatch, Jan 18, 2013.

1. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
  2. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    My first job was at Mickey D's, was hired in a "lot" of other 16 yr olds (same highschool), and worked 1 or 2  3 hr shifts per week.

After 2 months, I was fired, as was everyone else who was hired in that "lot", lousy excuses were given (mine was "sitting down too much on "lot & lobby") <cleaning up the garbages in lobby and parking lot> but even though I protested I had never worked such a detail yet, it didn't make much of a difference.  Later I found the day time mangr had hired too many for the bookkeeper to keep track of, and was told by the franchise holder to get rid of the last lot he hired.

Grand total of 9 shifts worked, didn't learn much about teamwork.....

3. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I learned those same lessons during my 4 year stint at Jack In The Box.  Those lessons got me through college and into a great career.  I thank the memory of my first real boss, Phill WhatsHisName (yes, with two "l"s), quite often.

4. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    plus, where else do you get to ask, "would you like fries with that"?  and get away with it? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smoking.gif

joey

5. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I think I got a pretty good idea of what our society thinks of McDonalds, just by reading the comments after the article.

The hatred and discourse about fast food being bad for ones health was evident throughout the article, but so was ignorance and apathy.

The "tree huggers" actually blame the fast food industry for America's obesity problem.

As always, personal responsibility is no where in the equation.

One of my first jobs was working in a grocery store, bagging and stocking.

One could say also, that this job teaches responsibility, and work ethic.

I'm sure there are hundreds, if not thousands, of jobs out there that do the same thing.

So is working at a McDonalds now classified as being a job "Americans just won't do?"

6. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    People love to hate, and haters love to write comments to internet articles.  I wouldn't assume they are in the majority until McDonalds announces that they are closing stores due to lack of sales.  :)

7. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sadly, so do I because I can't drive 5 miles without seeing at least one.
    Amen, hear, hear, I second that, etc etc /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

I have nothing against McDonald's. They do a lot things very well. The life lessons that can be learned at McDonald's are valuable ones. As is always the case though, the student has to be ready.

Do I eat at McDonald's? No and I can't really remember the last fast food joint that I ate at, because for all intensive purposes, I don't. Also the lessons at McDonald's are widely available throughout our industry in a wide variety of establishments.
    Unfortunately this is quickly becoming the case, which is sad because there is honor in any job done well.