4th of July bun ideas

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by frankie007, Jun 1, 2017.

1. frankie007

frankie007

Exp:
    professional chef over 20 years
    I franchise a kitchen in a pub in London, doing simple but good quality food in brioche buns like pork belly, prawn burger, soft shell crab...  We have a good few North American customers and with 4th of July coming I wanted to do something in a bun for them to remind them of home.... I thought southern fried chicken would be a good one......any ideas would be greatly appreciated

2. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    How about a good ol cheeseburger?

3. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Pulled pork would be good too. 

4. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Yes. Here's a couple of butts and a brisket.

5. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I agree with both of the above, both pulled pork and a good cheeseburger, but don't get fancy with the cheese. Heck, if you could get American processed cheese that would be the best as that is what is usually served on Cheeseburger over here, or a slice of cheddar.  Even better would be a Bacon Cheeseburger with smoked bacon.  Add some onion slices, and few dill pickle slices and ketchup and mustard.  For either sandwich, a good, soft potato bun is the best, maybe a Kaiser roll for the pulled pork.

Another good idea would be a Cheesesteak, served in a sub roll.  If you want to be totally authentic to the real thing then Cheez Whiz is what you would use for the cheese, but many places also just melt mozzarella over it.

6. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ship over some Nathan's hot dogs. Nothing say's Happy 4th of July better than a New York Hot dog.......

flipflopgirl likes this.
  7. capecodchef

capecodchef

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Funny, I had this argument with one of my cooks the other day. She said cheese whiz is the original cheese of choice, I maintain it's actually provolone. It may be different now, but provolone was used back in the day. (And shaved ribeye, no top round, bottom round, or any other beef!)

As to the OP, agree with others here, can't beat a good ole' cheeseburger with yellow American cheese, ketchup, mustard onion and dill pickles, and a grilled hot dog on a toasted or grilled roll with sweet pickle relish and yellow mustard.

8. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You are right, provolone was used when cheesesteaks were first created as Cheez Whiz wasn't invented until the 50's and, by most accounts, cheesesteaks were invented in the 30s, but I still maintain that Cheez Whiz is the most "authentic" cheese to use as, for decades, Cheez Whiz has been the cheese of choice at most shops in Philly.  Both Geno's, and Pat's (where the cheesesteak was invented) claim that Cheez Whiz is the cheese of choice, far surpassing all other cheese choices, combined.  Personally, I prefer provolone over Cheez Whiz, but I still maintain that Cheez Whiz is the most "authentic" (not the original) cheese as it is the cheese, that for decades, has been the most used, in the area where it was created.

9. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I know this isn't the cheesesteak or cheese whiz thread, but I recently had the best cheesesteak that ever passed my lips at Mama's in Bala Cynwyd. I liked it much better than any of the "originals". No whit wiz at Mama's!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  10. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    @frankie007 - I agree with others above. Nothing says Fourth of July like hamburgers and hot dogs.

(Sorry for off topic rant, but I have to :) )
    But, being from the Philly area and a true connoisseur of cheesesteaks, I have to disagree with Pete that Whiz is the most authentic cheese. Sure the horrible tourist traps Pat's and Geno's may have invented them, but most Philadelphians do not go there. There are literally thousands of places that make them in the Philly area and I would say 90% of them do not use Whiz. (Or mozzarella for that matter). Provolone is the cheese of choice.

capecodchef likes this.
  11. frankie007

frankie007

Exp:
    professional chef over 20 years
    Thank you people for all the replies, burgers and dogs it is then!