2lb tri-tip beef roast

Joined Apr 3, 2008
First time cooking this, how should I make it? Is medium rare a good temp for it? Does it benefit from a marinade?

Joined Mar 1, 2017
I think tr-tip is one of those cuts that is best when grilled. Then again, as a true carnivore, I love everything grilled. ;-)

Make a dry rub with no sugar (that's very important). Use salt, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, dried rosemary/thyme, cayenne etc. Just about anything will work. But, the salt is the key.

Generously coat the meat with the rub and refrigerate for 4-6 hours.

Remove from the fridge and bring to room temperature. Prepare a basting sauce that is garlic and oil based. A flavored vinegar would work nicely if emulsified with something like mild mustard etc.

Place the meat over an intensely hot bed of coals and baste. Make sure to turn and then baste, not baste then turn. You don't want the oil to flare up the coals. Turn and baste every 1-2 minutes. Do not let the meat set on one side any longer than that. The dry rub and the baste will create a delicious blackened crust. When the meat reaches an internal temp of 120'f, its done.

Let is rest for 10-15 minutes and enjoy!

Good luck! :)

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I agree with Brian's recommendation of the Santa Maria tri-tip. No wet marinade, dry rub of S & P and garlic powder. I have added chili powder when I wanted a little heat. Now grill or broil or cook in a hot oven, keep it medium-rare and give it a good 15mn resting time.

But the most important with tai-tip is how you slice it. You'll see clearly the fibers running down the muscle, and you really have to go against the grain. By cutting the fibers you'll make slices that are much easier to chew.

Enjoy! Now I'm craving tri-tip, which is nearly impossible to find around here... :(

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I’m following the Santa Maria method though I couldn’t access the recipe for the rub. I rubbed it yesterday with salt, pepper, garlic powder and thyme. Left in the fridge to dry brine. Planning on throwing it on the grill if hubs wants to help otherwisenim searing it and cooking it in the oven.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Santa Maria dry rub is S&P+garlic powder. Grill is great. No need to sear before cooking in oven IMO, you can cook fast and high to form a crust.

Joined May 30, 2015
Cavender's Greek Seasoning is what I personally use on tri-tip (or any steak, really). I rub it in a little EVOO and then liberally apply the Cavender's. If you want to baste it, I would use an Argentine salmuera, which is essentially water and a LOT of salt, but I think basting is unnecessary if you're cooking it to medium-rare or medium.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Cavender's Greek Seasoning is what I personally use on tri-tip (or any steak, really). I rub it in a little EVOO and then liberally apply the Cavender's. If you want to baste it, I would use an Argentine salmuera, which is essentially water and a LOT of salt, but I think basting is unnecessary if you're cooking it to medium-rare or medium.

Why why? 9739D312-4034-413E-AE7B-1384D556A6F6.png

Joined Mar 9, 2013
Trim the meat - Rub Olive Oil -S/P/Garlic - Prefer to use lump - hot sear over Mesquite, Hickory or your choice of red meat wood for roughly 3-4 min all sides ( it will continue to create "bark" as it cooks) - move to indirect heat rotating - check internal meat temp - pull at 125 deg - rest 10 min min. - slice against the grain for your "Poor Mans Prime Rib" . Thanks to all the accolades for our Canadian Bacon turn in last month..We were getting married..SORRY

Joined May 30, 2015

Why? Because it tastes good. We're all going to die anyways, so who cares if it has MSG or other industrial fillers? At the end of the day, it tastes good, and that's what really matters, right? Most restaurant food is comprised of industrial fillers and low-grade products made to look better than they are. Quality is in the technique, not the ingredient.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
37CBB865-CB56-4A86-AE6C-BD22460F9594.jpeg
Quality is in the technique, not the ingredient.

As a farmer’s daughter I couldn’t disagree more! Everyone gets to die, not everyone really gets to live. Just look at this beautiful oregano harvested from our garden, no amount of msg can rival it. Greek seasoning at its finest.

Joined May 30, 2015
View attachment 65025

As a farmer’s daughter I couldn’t disagree more! Everyone gets to die, not everyone really gets to live. Just look at this beautiful oregano harvested from our garden, no amount of msg can rival it. Greek seasoning at its finest.

I don't dispute that your oregano is beautiful, but I still love Cavender's - it's a delicious blend. I suppose the key to living is being happy however you define it. For me, it's Cavender's. For you, it's your homegrown oregano. Η καμήλα δε βλέπει την καμπούρα της.;)

Joined Apr 3, 2008
So we made the tri tip! I dry brined it and washed off the brine, let it come to room temp. We grilled it and it was cooked beautifully at 130F. Served it with roasted veggies and baked potato. The verdict... meh... really it didn't thrill me much and it reminded me of an eye round with better mouthfeel. It was a bit expensive too, $9 per pound. I think I prefer steak, but I'm glad we made it so now I now what all the fuss is about.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Sorry you didn’t like it. I never wash off the rub. Maybe you could try it again with homemade corn tortillas, salsa and poquito beans. I’ll cook...

Joined Feb 17, 2010
So we made the tri tip! I dry brined it and washed off the brine, let it come to room temp. We grilled it and it was cooked beautifully at 130F. Served it with roasted veggies and baked potato. The verdict... meh... really it didn't thrill me much and it reminded me of an eye round with better mouthfeel. It was a bit expensive too, $9 per pound. I think I prefer steak, but I'm glad we made it so now I now what all the fuss is about.

I think The brine was your problem. Next time kosher salt, black pepper and granulated garlic. Straight to the Grill char then put off to the side with the lid shut cook to 125, rest and slice.
I have cooked thousands of pounds of tri-tip and the majority is very flavorful and tender.
A lot also depends on the amount of marbling in the meat, Always leave a small amount of fat on, don't trim it all off.
Nine bucks a pound is pretty spendy, Choice sells for 4 to 5 dollars a pound here.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I have never cooked tri-tip (not available here and in Europe), so take this with a grain of salt...
I would not have washed off the brine. Just maybe wipe the excess salt and straight on the grill.

Having said that: Everybody's taste is different. Me, I do not like fillet, but love rump steak. It might just not be your type of meat ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom