$250 Wa Gyuto knife suggestions

Joined Jun 17, 2015
Hello, I am looking to buy my first high quality knife for home-cooking/dinner parties. I don’t have a ton of knowledge on this subject but I have done some research and have come up with some specific qualities I would like the knife to have.

-I am set on a Japanese gyuto 240 mm (Possibly 210 mm depending on price/quality).

-I would like to have a wooden wa handle (I’ve used one before and preferred it).

-I am leaning towards a high carbon blade if it will be of higher quality (I am willing to do the extra maintenance required). I don’t have much experience with whetstones but am eager to learn and practice (something relatively easy to sharpen would be a bonus)

-I would like it to have some aesthetic appeal (I don’t want an extremely plain stainless steel look even if it is a bit better quality)

-My price range is anywhere from 150 – 350 US dollars, absolute maximum of 400 US total (shipping+tax), I would like it to be closer to 250 US but am willing to put extra money down if it’s really worth it

I have been looking around for knives with these qualities but there are so many brands that I’m a little lost. I understand companies like Shun and Miyabi are a little overpriced even though they look great and are great knives, but I would rather go with a smaller company with a better price/quality ratio.

Any suggestions on specific knives/brands to look into would be great. If there are other questions I can ask myself to narrow down my search more that would also be helpful. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou

Top Bottom