2002 James Beard Awards

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by suzanne, May 7, 2002.

1. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    All the nominees and winners can be found at the James Beard Foundation website

People here will be happy to know that Peter Reinhart's book won for Baking and Desserts AND as "Cookbook of the Year."

Craft was chosen as best New Restaurant.

And a show from Food Network Canada won "Best National Television Cooking Show or Special."

2. shawtycat

shawtycat

Exp:
    Hey Suzanne, Where is Craft?

Anyone here ever been there? If so how's the food?

Jodi

3. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Craft is here in New York City. I singled it out because when Shroom was visiting here a bunch of us got together with her and after traipsing around to food places, had dinner there. Let's see: Shroom, Foodnfoto, M Brown, Momoreg, Cape Chef, me, and my hubby. (KyleW and his friend Linda had to leave before we got there, because I.C.E. was having an event they had to go to.) We had a lot of different dishes, and it was great.

There are a few threads on the Restaurant Rave board about Craft, from January of this year. If you look back at them, you'll get an idea of what the place is like.

4. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Ooooooh, the skate wings!
    How I remember the skate wings at Craft!

Bravo to Tom Colicchio and all his crew at this fine restaurant!

(They should win for the skate wings alone!)

5. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    True, Linda and I had to leave before dinner, but we have eaten at Craft on another occasion. Man is it good :) And way to go Chef Reinhart!

6. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I can't believe they gave best chef-midwest to Rick Tramanto. Paul Kahan would have my vote in a minute!!! For those of you in the Chicago area, or anywhere for that matter, you must get to Blackbird to try Paul's food. It is fantastic!!!!!!

7. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Well, I sort of take the winner selection with a grain of salt ;) . It's probably all so political. But the places that get nominated are all excellent anyway. Not exactly undiscovered gems, but worthy. Wish they'd expand the list a bit more, though.

8. isa

isa

I was happy to see Reinhart's book win again. It is well deserve!

9. kimmie

kimmie

10. shawtycat

shawtycat

Exp:
    Thanks guys! Ive been reading some of the past posts about this restaurant. Looks like a great place to eat.