2 Baking Tecniques needed.

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by leggsmi, Jul 21, 2010.

1. leggsmi

leggsmi

Exp:
    At home cook
    I need a recipe for edible glass.  I know it is made with sugar just don't know how much, along with and how to?

Also I would like to learn the technique where a hot liquid is poured over ice cubes.

It would alos help to know the names of both these techniques.  I believe the first one is called ice-o-melt or something like that.  Absolutely clueless on the latter.

2. rat

rat

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The first is isomalt which you can use regular sugar for a substitute. The second I would say ---- melting ice???

3. cookpiper

cookpiper

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Hi there! What I have here is only the recipe for Edible Glass. Hope it's okay for you.

Here are the things you will need:
        * Sugar
        * Baking or cookie sheet
        * Butter
        * Frying pan
        * Spoon
        * Stove

Step 1

Butter a cookie or baking sheet. Place the sheet in the refrigerator for a few hours until the sheet cools to the refrigerator's temperature.

Step 2

Warm a frying pan over low heat.

Step 3

Measure out 1 cup of sugar and add the sugar to the pan.

Step 4

Use a spoon to stir the sugar while it heats. Continue to stir the sugar while it clumps and turns brown. Scrape the sides and bottom of the frying pan regularly so that all the sugar melts at the same time.

Step 5

Keep heating and stirring the sugar until all clumps have dissolved into a liquid. Turn the heat off as soon as all clumps disappear.

Step 6

Retrieve the cookie or baking sheet from your refrigerator. Use a spoon to pour the sugar into the sheet. Smooth the surface of the sugar with the spoon.

Step 7

Let the sugar cool on the sheet. Once the sugar cools completely, peel your new glass off of the cookie sheet, set it on a flat surface and enjoy your edible glass.