1997 vintage in Northern Italy

Discussion in 'Pairing Food and Wine' started by cape chef, Feb 6, 2001.

1. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hey folks,

I just wanted to share with the community the outstanding wines produced in tuscany and piedmonte in 97!! Although you can spend $100.00 or more there are some great wines under 20 bucks Iv'e had recently.Borge salcetino chianti Classico for about 15 dollers was very nice,berry flavors soft tannins and a long finish. also Vignamaggio chianti classico for 20 dollers had soft tannins and very ripe fruit on the palate.
    fattoria del cerro vino nobile di Montepulciano for 20 dollors was a nock out.
    Ripe fruit,berry,minaral and full bodied was deliciouse. These are three that I have had in the last couple weeks and We're really tasty and easy to find. And I thought the price was right. I think you can say it's a pretty safe bet that almost any of the 97s from up north should be a pleasure to drink
    cc

2. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    About 9 years ago, a dollar equalled 1,000 lire, just to put things into perspective. Italy is a great place to visit, and that's just an added bonus.

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Dick you are one lucky man and your wife as well!(I no she's not a man). It seems that anything that marchesi Antinori touches turns to gold. I did not have his incredible 97...But quess what??? I did have the oppurtunity to taste his perfect Solaia It was so consintrated that my teeth almost became num. Tig is defenatly one of the top dogs in regards to tuscanys "super tuscans"
    If any one is interested in what Dick had and the general idea of a super tuscan, is a wine that is produced in Tuscany and is made from a blend of Sangiovese and Cabernet.
    Usally a 80/20 blend.Believe it or not to be quilified for tuscanys Chianti DOCG you need to have a small amount of white grapes in your blend and then age them in large oak barrels. Antanori basiclly said fooee to that and used no white grapes and ages his wine for 18/20 months in new oak. So this wine was really the catalist and took the chance to be different.So since he and soon after other producers of "Super Tuscan " did not go bye the laws stated to produce Chianti they we're not able to use that designation. So some of the most incredible wines of Italy and the world Actually just say Vini Da Tavola (Table wine)
    Just be forwarned many if not all the Super tuscans are very exspensive somewhere between 50-150 dollors.Some more some less.
    Dick thanks for making me drool :)
    I wish I bought a bottle or two when I had the chance :(
    oh well
    cc