1970 Ch. Lynch Bages

Joined Aug 4, 2000
Last night I drank a 1970 Ch. Lynch Bages, a Pauillac. Absolutely the best red that I ever drank. After two hours of being open, the taste steadily improved. All this dispite that the level of liquid had fallen below the shoulders approximately 1 inch during the 24 years that I've possessed the wine. Tasteeeeeeee!!!
Most reds that I've drank seem to go downhill after a half an hour or so, as did the 1971 CH. Mouton Rothschild that I opened New Years's Eve, 1999. Perhaps the accompaniment of the video, Scarface, affected the flavor. Wine selection and investment is a crapshoot like the selection of a pool cue. One is dealing with a product of Mother Nature. You never know how it'll age, like a child.

I'll email y'all a taste!

:D

[ April 23, 2001: Message edited by: kokopuffs ]

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Kokopuffs...

I have been a fan of Lynch-bages for many years..
outside of the 89 vintage the 70 was the best I have had.Big,deep colored and rich black fruit.ceder and leather were also in the fold.As I check my notes it's been seven years since I have enjoyed that wine. Glad to hear it is still in great shape.as to the 71 mounton,I'm suprised that it still had good structure (or maybe I'm not)71 was a good year for mouton,not great..non the less a good mouton is better than no mouton at all :)
cc

Joined Aug 4, 2000
I purchased that wine in 1977 for less that $15 a bottle. Now, according to a Wine Spectator catalog, it's worth $140. It certainly tasted like it. I'm almost sorry to have opened it this soon! ;)

Top Bottom