12 lbs of Ground beef, WWYD?

Joined Jul 21, 2006
My BIL is out of town and his daughter discovered the freezer was unplugged.  I don't know how much ground beef was in the freezer from a couple of cows they had processed but only part of it was still frozen.  That was put in another freezer and I gave away some but still have 12 lbs to cook today.

My game plan is to make a big pot of meaty tomato sauce and turn that into lasagna, baked ziti, and put a few containers up for spaghetti later.  I'm also going to make some meatballs and freeze those.  I don't have the makings for chili or I would make up a pot of that, too.  I think that will use it all up but I'm open to any other ideas.  I know that I do not like ground beef that has been browned and then frozen.  To me, it tastes old when I use it later.  

Just curious, what would you do in that situation?

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
12 lbs is quite a bit. That'll make like 5 gallons at least!

In addition to meatballs maybe some meatloaf?  Freeze that too.

Last edited:
Joined Mar 9, 2010
b.b.q season is here ( well for me I have mine going year round even in the sub zero weather ,die hard grill gal that I am) How about Burgers? Make up a batch of patties and freeze.

Joined Jul 21, 2006
We did have burgers for dinner last night so used 1.5 lbs (still have 12 lbs today) for those. I have never frozen a cooked burger so wasn't sure how well that would work.  Do they taste ok after being frozen?

Last edited:
Joined Mar 9, 2010
Oh no I meant frozen raw burgers ...you know the old fashion way mom used  to do with a  pattie stacker.
They freeze well and taste like fresh to me when I  pull out as needed.

Joined Jul 21, 2006
This meat was already frozen and then thawed because the freezer was unplugged.  I think it will lose quality if I freeze it raw again but thanks for the suggestion!  I do that when I buy a lot of fresh meat and especially if we're going camping.  It works great to throw in the cooler frozen and cook a day or two later after it thaws.

Joined Mar 21, 2008
You could just brown it and then vacuum bag for use in chili, spaghetti sauce etc.

Joined Jul 21, 2006
I ended up with:
1 gallon meaty tomato sauce for freezer
1 large pan of lasagna
1 small pan of lasagna
1 2 lb meat loaf
1 gallon of meatballs
1 large pot of chili (found enough ingredients in the pantry)
and 1 lb leftover to use tomorrow

Joined Feb 3, 2010
hmmm.  One pound left.  Some shepherd's pie?

P.S.  I've found if you brown off the ground beef it'll hold at least a few more days in the fridge without getting funky, in case you need more time to decide.

Last edited:
G

what? no hamburger helper? lol.

Charron, that would be "Cottage pie" ;) 

Joined Apr 3, 2010
 f its been thawed fully, do not refreeze. If it still contains ice crystals throuhout then you can. I would brown it off and store in airtight plastic bags. or make a meat loaf and cook off.

Top Bottom