12 lbs of Ground beef, WWYD?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by allie, Apr 25, 2010.

1. allie

allie

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    My BIL is out of town and his daughter discovered the freezer was unplugged.  I don't know how much ground beef was in the freezer from a couple of cows they had processed but only part of it was still frozen.  That was put in another freezer and I gave away some but still have 12 lbs to cook today.

My game plan is to make a big pot of meaty tomato sauce and turn that into lasagna, baked ziti, and put a few containers up for spaghetti later.  I'm also going to make some meatballs and freeze those.  I don't have the makings for chili or I would make up a pot of that, too.  I think that will use it all up but I'm open to any other ideas.  I know that I do not like ground beef that has been browned and then frozen.  To me, it tastes old when I use it later.  

Just curious, what would you do in that situation?

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    12 lbs is quite a bit. That'll make like 5 gallons at least!

In addition to meatballs maybe some meatloaf?  Freeze that too.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  3. gypsy2727

gypsy2727

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    b.b.q season is here ( well for me I have mine going year round even in the sub zero weather ,die hard grill gal that I am) How about Burgers? Make up a batch of patties and freeze.

4. allie

allie

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    We did have burgers for dinner last night so used 1.5 lbs (still have 12 lbs today) for those. I have never frozen a cooked burger so wasn't sure how well that would work.  Do they taste ok after being frozen?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  5. gypsy2727

gypsy2727

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Oh no I meant frozen raw burgers ...you know the old fashion way mom used  to do with a  pattie stacker.
    They freeze well and taste like fresh to me when I  pull out as needed.

6. allie

allie

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    This meat was already frozen and then thawed because the freezer was unplugged.  I think it will lose quality if I freeze it raw again but thanks for the suggestion!  I do that when I buy a lot of fresh meat and especially if we're going camping.  It works great to throw in the cooler frozen and cook a day or two later after it thaws.

7. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    You could just brown it and then vacuum bag for use in chili, spaghetti sauce etc.

8. allie

allie

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I ended up with:
    1 gallon meaty tomato sauce for freezer
    1 large pan of lasagna
    1 small pan of lasagna
    1 2 lb meat loaf
    1 gallon of meatballs
    1 large pot of chili (found enough ingredients in the pantry)
    and 1 lb leftover to use tomorrow

9. charron

charron

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    hmmm.  One pound left.  Some shepherd's pie?

P.S.  I've found if you brown off the ground beef it'll hold at least a few more days in the fridge without getting funky, in case you need more time to decide.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  10. Guest

Guest Guest

what? no hamburger helper? lol.

Charron, that would be "Cottage pie" ;) 

11. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
     f its been thawed fully, do not refreeze. If it still contains ice crystals throuhout then you can. I would brown it off and store in airtight plastic bags. or make a meat loaf and cook off.