12 inch knife recommendations?

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by ElaineP, Sep 26, 2017.

1. ElaineP

ElaineP

Exp:
    40+ years as home cook
    Hi all, new here. I have decided I'm done with trying to cut a very large "whatever" with an 8" carving knife. I can't even properly cut a very large cantaloupe or large round loaf of bread lengthwise with it, or heck, even cut off a slice from a very large turkey :) I'd like to find a 12" carver or other style to make my life easier whenever this kind of thing happens again. I've read as many of the reviews here as I could, but with 115+ pages worth, it starts getting confusing, sorry :(

I am a long time enthusiastic home cook, and I understand full well the importance of good knives. I do not need a truly top of the line restaurant/professional knife, but I do want a decent one. Serrated knives have their uses, but as I can't sharpen them, I don't really use them all that much. I received a very nice 8" Sabatier carver as a wedding gift back in '71 :) and still use it, duly sharpened as needed. I regularly use my steel on the knives I do have, so I know how to do that, and it works well. I also know they can be VERY pricey, and while I'm willing to pay for a good one, I'd like to stay below $75 if possible. I also know there are a lot of options, weight, balance, type of metal, etc etc, but if there is a decent knife that you can recommend for someone like me, I would appreciate. Let me know what questions you might have and I'll be glad to answer.

2. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
  3. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I used a thin and flexy 7.5" carving knife for years and cut everything with it, but it certainly isn't the preferred. I'm also guessing you don't keep your knife very sharp, which makes the tasks you mention rather brutal.

12" BK why not. I wouldn't as I am rather particular about the quality of cut, especially with fruit, but should let that stop most folks. You could also do a cake knife (no scallops) or cake saw (shallow scallops). If you have a problem with sharpenning then stick with the scalloped edge.

4. DmitryZ

DmitryZ

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    my favorite
    [​IMG]
    about 100$ only
    and its good for everything

5. S. Peterson

S. Peterson

Exp:
    ??????

6. S. Peterson

S. Peterson

Exp:
    ??????
    A 12 inch knife is primarily used in a restaurant for a cook who is chopping vegetables all day. I suggest taking a knife skills class.

7. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    A 12" bread knife is one thing, a 12"chefs is another, to some extent, you might just keep it to 10" for the chefs except that the 12" Vic can be had for as little as $35 and the low on the 10" is over $40 (cheftalk won't accept the big amazon link addy for the 10").
    http://productshow.ispeboston.org/attendees/after-party/

Why not a 12" BK and chefs? You can have both for under a hundred, and you might get a kick out of having a knife about the same proportions as a Roman short sword.

ElaineP likes this.
  8. ElaineP

ElaineP

Exp:
    40+ years as home cook
    I DO keep it very sharp, and I know HOW to do that just fine, but that's not the problem. I have found that when trying to slice some things, including but not limited to, as mentioned, a very large melon, the 8" is just too short. They grow VERY large melons in the South :)

I'm not a pro as noted, I just want to cut the darned cantaloupe or whatever for home use so the "quality of the cut" is just not relevant *to me*, so at times, I really wish I had a longer bladed knife for these more or less specialized uses.

9. ElaineP

ElaineP

Exp:
    40+ years as home cook
    Heh! Sounds good to me :)

10. ElaineP

ElaineP

Exp:
    40+ years as home cook
    My knife skills are pretty good for a home cook, but while I hear you, it's not about volume of chopping veggies, it's about slicing thru large items like melons and maybe other items, large poultry or the like.

11. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    In all seriousness, I think you'd enjoy both knives I mentioned (well actually I was not at all specific about the BK). But since you know how to sharpen, myself and some others here should make a few more suggestions to you. I for one will get back to this when I have a few moments.

ElaineP likes this.
  12. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    ElaineP likes this.
  13. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have been worked in kitchens for a few decades and do over 95% of my knife work with one chef's knife. Everything from watermelons to cherry tomatoes. I generally use a knife that is 10-12" although for a couple of years, I did use an 8". Occasionally people would make fun of my 8" knife, but the funny thing is on prep projects, I not only kept up, but was usually was ahead of them.

It ain't the instrument, it's the player. :~)

ElaineP likes this.
  14. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    All right I've thought it over. The OP knows how to sharpen, doesn't care about looks, is going through big melons, can't really justify spending a lot. Get the 12" Vic for $35.

It's nicely thin at the edge, much more so than just about any other knife that price, a good all-rounder, won't flex too much on those big watermelons, stainless, you simply can't do better without spending significantly more.

ElaineP likes this.
  15. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Cut half the melon at a time

richjonesy likes this.
  16. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Well I believe that's what he's been doing, not fun really, especially with a wimpy little carver. You come across an all-rounder to beat the 12" Vic for $35?

17. ElaineP

ElaineP

Exp:
    40+ years as home cook
    Heh! I'm a She :) but that's OK :) I like to cut the melon lengthwise, which is where the issue came from. And you are right, it's not fun! Hence the original request :) Where did you find the 12" Vic for only $35, if I might ask?

18. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  19. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
    careful Rick, or you might end up in the same boiling pot as Cam Newton, LOL. to the original question, go to local restaurant store and see what they have. since it is an occasional use knife, try Target or another big box retail and see what they have in that size.