11 weeks, menu changed, off and runnin'

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by iceman82, May 13, 2017.

1. iceman82

iceman82

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    So 11 weeks in to my first gig as a chef after 20 years of working in kitchens. So far, so good. Labor is staying around 18-19%, and had a few bumps in my food cost for menu shift, and sticking to the program quite nicely.

Gave a round of raises to those who needed it and deserved it, had to haggle with the one cook who works on my day off ( told the owner he was quitting and only a day after I submitted paperwork for a raise ), the owner wanted him fired, but I talked to him and managed to keep him on until after september ( obviously, the raise changed his tone ). 

Some things I think "I am learning" and other times I wonder if it will bite me in the ass down the road.

Something I am now finding myself dealing with:

On my days off, the closes are absolutely horrendous. It looks like a savage beast went through all the units and ate everything. Mostly empty containers, some inserts with stinky proteins , etc,.... If I close with them, obviously everything is spot on. I am setting up closing lists right now, but how do I hold them to it? Is it legal for me to write them up, and after so many write ups, terminate them? I mean, sounds harsh, but how do I impose responsibility on closing ?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    As you are closing with them make sure they are absolutely clear on what your expectations are. Ask if they have any questions or are unclear about what your expectations are. After closing, sit down with them and in a very matter of fact voice, explain your expectations again and ask once again if they have any questions or are unclear about the procedures. Then explain the consequences of not following through with the established closing procedures. Ask if they have any questions or are unclear about the consequences of not following established closing procedures. Then let them know, once again in a very matter of fact voice, that their length of their employment is up to them individually as it is determined by their actions. Let them know that you have now done all that you can, the rest is up to them.
    What is harsh is...
    That is totally unacceptable...unless you allow it to be acceptable. Stick to your guns. No waffling, even though people seem to like chicken and waffles.  :~)

If they do closing right, be sure to praise and do so very publicly. If you need to read the riot act to someone, do so privately.

I know you know all this stuff already, but sometimes it helps to hear someone else echo the voices in our heads.

3. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Put someone in charge on your day off.  Make sure everyone understands that person is in charge.

4. iceman82

iceman82

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You are right Cheflayne , I just need to hear it from someone else. Sometimes, part of me is shocked that certain people who perform well when I am around, perform like lazy [expletive] when I am not there, or when I leave early. You are right though, I need to clarify and confirm understanding of what is expected, and than clarify and confirm understanding of consequences . Plain and simple.

plain and simple

plain and simple

it isn't rocket science, it is simply a professional kitchen

5. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Which simply never is simple.

6. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    [​IMG]

Some people keep their eye on the carrot. They are keepers. Some need the stick.

7. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I always told my Chefs and Managers I expect the restaurant to run 100% to my satisfaction when I'm there. What impresses me is when it runs 100% to my satsifaction when I'm gone. This is all about trust and respect. If I walk into a bad closing it shows me I don't have the right people closing. In other words they're only a good employee when I'm watching. Explain this to your employees, if you can't close the kitchen properly in your absents then you will have to find people who can. This will result in less hours, it's their call........Good luck.........ChefBillyB