“Held hostage” by staff

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by Emcel, May 15, 2019.

1. Emcel

Emcel Banned

Exp:
    Head chef
    Good, get angry. At least you’ll know you’re alive! The funniest thing about your post is that you are offended by the word millennial. Very telling. Oh yeah, fuck off while you are at it! There’s a difference between not following good advice, and receiving crappy advice! I’m not sorry if I offended your delicate sensibilities, but in all fairness my goal is to be kicked off this forum! JCOTC, never intended for this all to be so fun, but it’s becoming more so with every reply!! Lol!!!!

2. Emcel

Emcel Banned

Exp:
    Head chef
    And, my friend, you have not answered my question. Have you ever worked a 16 hour shift just to go home and answer all your email? I’m going to guess no. So until you go though the eight gates of hell......”Ya Basic”.

3. Emcel

Emcel Banned

Exp:
    Head chef
    I have a great
    you should have just gone to work and not followed through with a response. I love the way you and many others have villianized me, assuming that I am completely incompetent. Your lame advice shows your inaptitude! Oh yea... Please report me.... my goal is to be banned

4. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You're right, I haven't been in that predicament before because I'm a good chef who runs a good kitchen and have hired, trained and held accountable staff that I trust to perform said jobs.

I think I understand why your staff doesn't want to work for you, lol.

Also, your inability to properly work the internet has me concerned.

chefross, chefbillyb and Emojitsu like this.
  5. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    food for thought: it has been my experience that the attitude of an organization starts with the guy in charge and trickles down

I am a big believer in the ripple effect. A question I ask myself frequently is what kind of ripples am I sending out.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." – Dalai Lama

jcakes and phaedrus like this.
  6. Emcel

Emcel Banned

Exp:
    Head chef
    You just keep thinking that sweetie and see how far ya go! Kharma will be a complete bitch for you. If you are concerned about my inability to “work the internet” PLEASE REPORT ME TO THIS WEB SITE! I’m concerned with your complete lack of empathy and relevance as a human. Go get your shitty coffee now! I’ll bet money you are always 10 min late! Wash, Rinse, repeat “I am a good chef.... and god darn it....people like me!”

7. Emcel

Emcel Banned

Exp:
    Head chef
    Riddle me this, if you are a “good chef” then why do all of your employees want to leave? I’m thinking you’re not “visible” and you are sitting in the office drinking your Carmel location iced vanilla bullshit and I also know more .....

8. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I know that you are seeking to be banned from this site. Not responding is simpler and quicker.

sgsvirgil and Emojitsu like this.
  9. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Wow! This started out with a sincere question and it's degraded to this. Yeah, I definitely see where the problem is now. I feel sorry for the people who work with you.

sgsvirgil likes this.
  10. Sm_okie

Sm_okie

Exp:
    4 years kitchen exp, 1 year culinarian certificate
    3-

11. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    ummmm...the Germans have an expresssion that goes something like “ after the ship sank, everyone had great ideas how to save it”.

Honestly, what kind of advice were you expecting? There’s no magic bullet here.

If I were you I would have worked at your place for two days for free, made my observations, and gone to the mngmt with a list of requests before accepting the job. Both you and I would know within 3 minutes of listing those requests if it made sense to walk out, —with the two days of work as the the best, cheapest, form of insurance ever.

Both you and I know that once you accept the job, you have no bargaining power.

Both you and I know the harder you work, the more your cooks slack off, and right now their goal is to drive you crazy, cooking is the furthest thing from their minds.

Several times in my career I was forced to take immediate action and quit my job—I’ve never had any regrets in doing so—my kids still talk to me, my wife still sleeps with me, and I don’t take any medication.

Hope you can relax

12. SaltySal

SaltySal

Exp:
    Line cook
    Hi OP!
    From what I am gathering here you are seeking a way to motivate your team to do their job. You have implemented the standard best practices to clarify to each worker his/her duties and streamlined kitchen tasks with little success. Do I have that right?
    So let’s step back and get a birds-eye view of your staff.
    From your original post we have people with:
    -Lower kitchen line skill sets
    -Entitled Attitudes
    -No enthusiasm for food
    -Unmotivated to do better
    -Restrictive (PC)/low on humor???

So the root of the problem appears to be that your team isn’t “buying in” to working as a team and making the kitchen a successful, well oiled machine.

So let’s put our heads together and see what can be done to improve things.

First off, what are your insights as to why they are in this job? Benefits? The only gig they could land? Job security?

-what would it take to get their cooking skills up to par? Could corporate pay for something like https://rouxbe.com/industry-training/?
    -Buy in....hmm okay so we know that humans want to feel loved and accepted, valuable and have purpose. So how do we foster this in the context of the kitchen....have you heard of Donald Miller’s storyline?
    https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/building-a-storybrand-with-donald-miller/id1092751338
    So his audience is copyeditors, but his message relates here. So a basic story is you have a hero, hero meets a guide who calls them to action and hero either succeeds or fails. His principles for advertising actually work quite well for your problems.
    So I want you to close your eyes and visualize this: Your workers are a bunch of Luke Skywalkers, (feckless teenage ne'er do wells), and maybe a hans solo and Chewbacca thrown in the mix. You are Yoda/Obiwan Kenobi leading your heros to success. The kitchen is the the Sith. We have to rebalance the Force.
    Okay now that we have reframed the problem, how do we call the hero’s to action? It’s probably gonna have to be twofold. Working individually to see what each person is motivated by and what they want at work, maybe even what they find “painful” enough as a consequence for bad choices to stop bad behavior. Then the addressing the team as a whole in some motivating way and maybe implementing some new structure?

Sorry I am still chewing on this and developing ideas as I go. Is anything ringing true for you? Am I getting close to the answer you were seeking?

If none of this is helpful maybe try another forum like Reddit? The have a subreddit for chefs, management, entrepreneurs lots of different industry cross-sections someone might be more helpful there.

Emojitsu likes this.
  13. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    How about one for anger management?

14. SaltySal

SaltySal

Exp:
    Line cook
    Luckily there is. Reddit for everything

15. chefbillyb